Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:46 PM   #1

Default General Aperture Question

Could someone help me with aperture. If F2 or F2.8 is wide open and lets in the most light, but with the shallowest depth of field, and F8 is the smallest aperture which lets in the least amount of light but the most depth of field. Then F2 has less that is sharp in the seen then F8 which will have the most that is sharp in the scene? So if you are outside on a bright sunny day and taken a shot of a landscape the F8 would be your best choice for everything to be sharp and in focus?
Another indoor shot of people in a hall at night with lights on would F2 or F2.8 be the best choice for everything to be in focus and sharp?

Thanks for your help just trying to understand before I bring the camera up to my eye where to start besides automatic.

Mark
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:02 PM   #2

well with dslr lens, they tend to be sharpest between F8-f11. But they can go form 1.8-36 or 4-45 in the aperture ranges. So if you want to have the most is focus for landscaper 8-13 is a good choice with a dslr. Now megazooms do not have a wide a range in aperture. And the aperture dof is affect by the size of the sensor as well. So I would wager f4 would be a sharp point if your camera goes form f2-f8.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 30, 2011 at 1:27 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:14 AM   #3

Yes your are correct.
My understanding is that, basically -

Large aperture, ie 2.8 - subject is sharp with foreground and background blurry.

Small aperture, ie 8 - everything is sharp.

I have read reviews that agree with shoturtle and believe f4 is the sweet spot.

My Flickr

Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:43 AM   #4

Thanks

Shoturtle and Joe,

I'm going to try some shots in the middle of the road. on the LX5 that would F4.0 and the FZ 100 it is F4.5. Funny I though they were both the same but the FZ100 only has 10 F settings and the LX5 has 13 F settings.
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote