Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:56 AM   #11

I see #1 and think wow that was formed via... ice and melts or was it more of flash flood... they all are good shots of records...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:58 PM   #12

Really fab shots Midnight Man - love No.3. How did you achieve that ????? Do tell all, I want that technique.
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:45 PM   #13

DyaneG,
#3 was shot at near dark. We were driving back to camp and stopped at the road junction. I grabbed my Gorillapod and shot over the hood of my truck, f/5.6, Exposure time 5 secs. ISO 400 and self timer 2 secs. But I should have remembered to limit the ISO at 100 and used a longer exposure to reduce the noise. Still getting to know this camera. The long exposure at 5 secs. allowed the passing car to drive completely thru the frame leaving a trail of lights. It was not planned and this was the only shot taken at that spot. Try it near any highway for light trails or do city scenes at night with a tripod and long exposures (FZ40 goes to 60 secs). You can use manual settings to try different exposure times and lens openings and use the self timer to eliminate camera shake when you hit the shutter release. If you don't have a tripod think about investing in a compact Gorillapod type (mine has a ball head) or one of many available budget priced decent tripods (mine is an old cheapo Vivitar that still works OK). Cost $50-$100 bucks. Do some net searching about night shooting for lots of info.
Have fun!
MidnightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:52 PM   #14

Hi Ya MidnightMan - cheers for the info, excellent. A highway, can you explain that concept to me ...... haaaaaa, I live in the a small village, but I should be able to practice something somewhere........... maybe during rush hour when there will be a least 2 cars, a scooter, a tractor and a horse drawn carriage.

I have been thinking of a Gorillapod - I take it that it will support the FZ40/45 no probs??
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:17 PM   #15

Hi DyaneG,
Wow! 2 cars at rush hour. I live in a rural area but only a mile from a highway with too many cars. I'll send you some.
The Gorillapod I have is the SLR model which holds up to 1.75 lbs. It will hold my old Minolta X-700 and tele lens so it will hold your FZ easily. Highly recommended.
MidnightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:35 PM   #16

Hi Ya MM - cool, thanks for that. I have a sneaking feeling that an order will be placed tomorrow.