Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:01 AM   #21

If you don't mind a bit of work, and the subject isn't moving, try taking several shots, pick the least blurry and merge them. It's how the multi-frame noise-reduction works on the new Sonys. You can get a cleaner image then that will let you boost the brightness more without the noise becoming unbearable.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
If you don't mind a bit of work, and the subject isn't moving, try taking several shots, pick the least blurry and merge them. It's how the multi-frame noise-reduction works on the new Sonys. You can get a cleaner image then that will let you boost the brightness more without the noise becoming unbearable.
Martin - what's a good software for that? I have both PS and PS Elements.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:04 AM   #23

You can do it manually in most editing software - PS might have a clever way of automating it:

Open the first good image
Open the second good image and add it to the first as a new layer. Set the transparency to 50% and move it around until it aligns well.
Do the same with the third good image but after aligning it, set the transparency to 33% (third image =1/3 = 33%)
Same for the fourth image and so on (fourth image = 1/4 = 25%)
When you're done, merge all the layers to give you a single combined image with much less noise than the original.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:03 AM   #24

Thanks, Martin-

That is an excellent idea. I am going to give it a try.

Sarah Joyce
[email protected]
PanasonicFZ40enthusiasts.shutterfly.com
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:27 PM   #25

You did really well Saly under the conditions. Apart from resting the camera on walls/balconies leaning to steady yourself there isn't a lot else you can do if your not aloud flash/monopod/tripod. Well done and thanks for sharing.
howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:57 PM   #26

Sarah
would the high sensitivity scene be about the same on the ZS7 ?

Bob
rebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:11 PM   #27

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Stefan - that's a very interesting point. And I have to admit I don't know much about processing Raw images. Is that very different from manipulating a JPG file? And yes, I do remember processing B&W film in my photography class, many many years ago...

Saly,

I am just a newbie, but raw converting gives you much more control over the IQ than manipulating JPG files. In principle it is the same as camera does with the build in software to generate the JPG files you get. But if you convert the raw files by yourself, you have much more control for exposure, contrast, colours, noise ... and the IQ would be much better.

If you are working with windows (I don't like windows and work with Linux) for the beginning the best would be to use the raw converter, which comes with the camera.

Cheers,

Stefan
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:40 PM   #28

Bob-

I do not own the ZS7, so I do not know if the High Sensitivity Scene Mode is available on the ZS7 and really cannot make a judgement on it.

It was initially introduced on the FZ28, then available on the FZ35/38, and now on the FZ40/45. I am not sure if it is featured on the new FZ100 camera.

Sarah Joyce
www.panasonicfz40enthusiasts.shutterfly.com
learnthe [email protected]
Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/learnthefz40
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:11 PM   #29

WOW, really nice photos Saly, would love to visit that museum. I vaguely remember Gene Autry.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:05 PM   #30

Great shots saly, you've done well. I like the photos the way they are, they are from a dark place. I don't think it hurts that they are a little dark.

Thanks for the tips Ozzie and Martin. Something I'll have to try

My Flickr

Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote