Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:47 AM   #1

Default Inside a dark museum with FZ35

Hi, I decided I really need to practice photographing more than just flowers and birds, so I decided to try the Autry National Center near where I live. This place was co-founded by Gene Autry and opened in 2003 to celebrate the American West. For those of you outside of US, Gene Autry was an extremely successful and popular performer who gained fame as the Singing Cowboy.

It was extremely dark inside and they do not allow flash or tripods. I didnít want grainy images so I kept it at ISO 400, and tried to steady the camera against walls, columns, display cases, anything I could find, because my shutter speed was somewhere between 1/6 and 1/13.

Please give me suggestions on what else I should have tried to make the shots better in this dark place. Thanks!

#2 This sculpture looks like a bunch of driftwood, but actually each branch is made out of bronze, painted to look like wood.

#3 This one is for Clint501 - an old fire engine,I believe

saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:26 AM   #2

Hi Saly-

Except for exposure, the layout and composition looks great. Nice work.

The High Sensitivity Scene Mode would have take care of the exposure for you rather nicely, I believe. As you are in Southern California, and I am in Oregon, I have attempted to create a likeness from one of your photos (I hope you do not mind!) of how the improved image quality might look. This is only an approximation and not a scientific evolution. But it will give you an idea of how the High Sensitivity Scene Mode that was first introduced on the FZ28, and then replicated on the FZ35/35, and FZ40/45 cameras might has helped you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:36 AM   #3

Well when I first started reading about the FZ series I was a little concerned about the capability of taking photos in the dimmer areas. I now see these fears are unfounded..... Love them all....
geofftay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftay2 View Post
Well when I first started reading about the FZ series I was a little concerned about the capability of taking photos in the dimmer areas. I now see these fears are unfounded..... Love them all....
Thanks, but I couldn't have gotten these in focus unless I held the camera against something sturdy. If I was allowed a tripod, it would have been super easy.

I forgot to mention, I did a bit of exposure adjustment in Picasa before posting, but not very much. This one is straight out of the camera:

Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:26 PM   #5

Here you go, Saly-

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 1:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Here you go, Saly-

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, thanks, but I now see more "noise", especially visible on the walls. They look like blotchy colors.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:04 PM   #7

Next time bring a walking stick and they may let you use it, not so in the way of others, type of thing. I think the photos are very good.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:03 PM   #8

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Hi,

as I am a newbie in digital photography, I am wondering if raw developing could be solve the problem with low light here?

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Stefan
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:16 PM   #9

G'day Saly

Thanks for sharing a nice set of images
suggestion ... when I am in this photo situation, I use 'burst' mode to minimise camera shake

I know all too well that the pressing of the shutter is a movement and as such is very likely to move the camera a bit. So I engage 'burst' and shoot 3-4-5 pix
Often the 1st pic has some movement, but with the others I am just holding the camera - it's doing the work
This way, I have been able to take hand-held pix at 1/4sec, sometimes 1/2 sec at 10x zoom [400mm for me] ... something unheard of in years past

When I get home I put all images into my photo editing software at 200% and go back-&-forth closing each image showing movement till I end up with the best of the bunch as a keeper

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:27 PM   #10

I think the first photo might contain your solution - I'm sure the guy in the picture is using a monopod.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote