Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:33 PM   #1

Default FZ35 + LC55 close up lens + settings question

Hi everyone,

When using the close up lens, is there any merit in using the AF Macro/Macro zoom function (not the dial mode)?
I've been experimenting with it on and off but the EXIF settings don't tell me when I have had it on so it's hard to tell the difference.
Guess I should make a note when I have it turned on.
Also, would those folk who use this function have the conversion turned on or off?
Looking forward to your comments. Cheers Lyn
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:43 PM   #2

banksy - this is an excellent question. I've been wondering the same thing and trying both settings with the LC-55 and really can't see a big difference. But I really haven't done a good comparison to know. I hope somebody chimes in.

I do know for a fact that you DO NOT have to turn on the conversion lens setting. The only thing that does is to zoom the lens to get past the adapter ring.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:13 PM   #3

Thanks Saly. Lyn
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:47 PM   #4

G'day Banksy

The AF-Macro button/mode is for close-ups using the FZ camera in everyday-zoom-mode
By selecting AF Macro, it causes the zoom lens to alter its operations to allow the lens to focus closer than normal - thus the "macro" designation

However by doing so, you lose the full use of the zoom
When in AF Macro, should you want to change image size via moving the zoom control, your image will rapidly go out-of-focus and you can kiss it goodbye. It's not easy [nor 'funny'] to uplift the tripod 1/2 inch to refocus 'cos you need to change the image size a fraction

The beauty of a close-up lens is that the close-up lens determines the focus distance AND you still have all the zoom capabilities available to you

I use close-up lenses lots of the time
I use both +2 & +3dioptre lenses

As you probably already know, the # of the lens equals the focus distance as a fraction of a metre ... so a +1 focuses at 1metre, a +2 focuses at 1/2 metre; a +3 at 1/3 metre etc till +10 focuses at 1/10 metre

So, 1/2 metre = 20inches ... and 1/3metre = 13inches for you USA guys

I will often put the +2 on the camera and from a distance of 1/2metre [20"] will then zoom thru the 1x - 18x range to get the image size I want. To make it work a bit easier for me, I pre-set the zoom to about 6x so that I can easily see my point of focus, set my tripod up then use the zoom to get the image size I want to finish up with

Banksy - hope this helps a bit ...
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:01 PM   #5

Thanks Phil, interesting information and answers my question about whether the AF macro button is useful when using the close up lens. So much to learn! Cheers Lyn