Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:42 AM   #1

Default Monopods - advice please UK

I have been reading a little about monopods and got interested but when looking on Amazon UK i got confussed as there are so many to choose from. My question is what to look for? The prices range from under 10 to almost 100. Do i need a foot rest? Should the attachment come off? So many questions on such a simple thing.
Any advice appreciated - which would you choose and why?
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:54 AM   #2

I bought the VELBON ULTRASTICK L50. It is light, maybe the shortest when closed, not expensive. The best for me, If it only were 8cm higher (when open) it would be ideal!a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:43 PM   #3

I have a cullmann 2741 monopole, about 30 euros. I also have their carbon fiber magnasit carbon filter pole for 129 dollars. Cullmann makes nice tripods and monopoles.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:04 PM   #4

Eysha check the size of the hand hold as some of them are quite large at the top where you hold it and being a lady you may have dainty hands...also the folding length is important if you travel as I required one that was 20" to fit in my travel bag...then lastly you can get them with Tripod Feet that fold up and recess inside the bottom Monoleg itself so it double as a Tripod...

I recommend Carbon Fiber to start as the Aluminium is very cold to the touch in the winter and hot to the touch in the summer...many companies have cheaper CF Monopods out now so the selection is good...

http://www.amazon.com/Benro-MC-98M8-.../dp/B002CVTUME
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:24 PM   #5

Many thanks for the replies. I think i will have to get one as i know i shake when trying to take photos and this should help - i hope, lol.
LT, i will follow your advice as i didn't think about all of that so thank you so much. E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:02 PM   #6

just a note, the monopole that have a tripod feature are not very stable as a tripod, I would not be to far from the camera if you want to keep you hands off the camera for a long exposure. Does not take to much wind to knock them over. CF monopoles work well, and them make a decent walking stick as well

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 3, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:11 AM   #7

Thanks Shoturtle, lots to think about.

Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:06 AM   #8

eysha - One problem I found with ordering these online is that you can't try out the locking system. I ordered mine on Amazon, and while it works just fine as a monopod, the tabs you operate to extend the length is sooooo hard that I sometimes have to grab pliers! My husband has no problems with it, but I guess us women have weaker fingers..... This is something you can't tell unless you actually try out the monopod. I guess my message here is that you may have to return a few until you find one that works for you...... (by the way, the one I ordered is a Norazza, it's super light weight and sturdy)
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:03 PM   #9

Thanks Saly, something else to think about. Is the Norazza OK - you don't need pliers? My hands wouldn't manage hard to work things.
E.

Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks Saly, something else to think about. Is the Norazza OK - you don't need pliers? My hands wouldn't manage hard to work things.
E.
Norazza is the hard one. I never returned it and decided to live with it. Hoping that it would loosen up with use
saly is offline   Reply With Quote