Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:12 PM   #1

Default Night Sports with FZ28?

We have been asked to shoot some sporting events under the lights this spring. We have a FZ28 that has been very versatile and we have used the various modes to shoot sports during the day with success.

Does anyone have experience using the FZ28 or one of its siblings shooting action under stadium lighting? If so, what settings did you use? We're any of the automatic/scenes useful or did you just use the manual settings (and what were they)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
binaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:26 PM   #2

Hi binaustin,

I've tried this once with my fz40 - I posted a thread on it:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...t-cricket.html

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:38 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaustin View Post
We have been asked to shoot some sporting events under the lights this spring. We have a FZ28 that has been very versatile and we have used the various modes to shoot sports during the day with success.

Does anyone have experience using the FZ28 or one of its siblings shooting action under stadium lighting? If so, what settings did you use? We're any of the automatic/scenes useful or did you just use the manual settings (and what were they)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Hi and welcome to Steve's. What sports have you been asked to shoot and for what purpose as that will have a major impact on the setup you will need.

I will say that I'm 99% sure that you won't get anything apart from static shots without using a dSLR and some fast glass (f2.8) which isn't going to be cheap. If you are only shooting for fun that you will likely get 'fan shots' but I get the feeling that as you've been asked to do some shooting the person asking is looking for something that is of a good quality.

What sort of level stadium are we talking as the higher the level then the better the light will usually be.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:04 PM   #4

I agree 100% with Mark-

The photo environment you describe will require a DSLR camera with a fast lens. I have shot a lot of theater photography with the FZ28 and ISO is about as high as you can go while still maintaining reasonable image quality.

A DSLR will have better low light/numerically high ISO setting capabilities, and also provide better image quality than you can get from the FZ28.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 8:04 PM   #5

I agree wholeheartedly with Mark16 and Sarah - on first reading of your post I didn't quite pick up that this seems to be a fairly serious affair. I had some fun with the fz40 but you would need a DSLR abd decent lens to actually get useful images at night.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:23 AM   #6

We're filming lacrosse. We've had pretty good results doing action photos during daylight with the fz28 but I haven't tried it under lights at night.

I have sort of mixed emotions - on one side, it is a bummer to read that the fz28 may not have the oomph to handle stadium lighting. On the other hand, I might finally have to break down and buy a DSLR :-)
binaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:42 AM   #7

Something else to keep in mind - lax is a tough sport to shoot with a short lens. And you're going to need an f2.8 lens. Which means you'll need at least a 70-200 2.8 (least expensive is $800 sigma non-OS version). 200mm is good for about 25 yards of coverage - that isn't very far on a lax field. The least expensive 300mm is the sigma 120-300 2.8 (which is around $2700 I think).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:29 AM   #8

I would give it a try and then evaluate what setup you require...you could try High Sensitivity Mode it's only 3Mp shots...so that wouldn't make for anything but thumbnails...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote