Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 4, 2011, 5:54 PM   #11

Hi Roger - congrats on both sets of photos, gorgeous, you have done really well. I prefer the first set with the sun. No's 4 and 5 are excellent, especially with the stamen shadows falling on the petals.
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:31 AM   #12

All looking good - I prefer the second set, with the more diffused light. As saly says, hard to focus on a tiny part. Your idea of pre-focus on the petals and then moving back an inch or two is worth trying.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:31 PM   #13

I tried more shots yesterday.

The first one was using AF/Macro, the second was with MF. Both were with P setting. These are a little closer, but did well with focus on the stamen. MF with handhold is not easy.

These experiments are giving me hope of getting some good shots in a few weeks of outside flowers.

I am confused about using the AF/Macro and the Closeup setting on the dial. Is the Closeup for the intermediate shots, 15" down to 5", and the Macro on the AF button for closer shots?

At this point, these experiments are not concerned with composition, rather just to learn to get exposure and focus.

Thanks for other comments -- appreciate the feedback.

Edit: Some of the sharpness has been lost in the upload.
Attached Images

Last edited by roger53; Feb 6, 2011 at 2:31 PM. Reason: Added last line about sharpness
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger53 View Post
These experiments are giving me hope of getting some good shots in a few weeks of outside flowers.

I am confused about using the AF/Macro and the Closeup setting on the dial. Is the Closeup for the intermediate shots, 15" down to 5", and the Macro on the AF button for closer shots?
Good job roger, looking forward to seeing your outdoor shots!

The Closeup setting on the dial is a preset auto mode just like the iA mode, so you can't change other settings (ISO, meter, etc). So my suggestion is not to use it and stick with the AF/Macro setting using the button.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:27 AM   #15

Roger,

Those flowers look great!

Not sure what kind of look you're after, but you may want to try some processing of the images. Some sharpening could help, as could a little increase in shadows and highlights. Also, a slight increase in saturation makes the colour of the flower look very different; this may be a good thing or a bad thing...
Attached Images

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:05 AM   #16

Ah, I really like these shots ... particularly #2 ... I like feeling like I'm almost inside the flower. Also, the PP that Mick has done is very nice ... almost makes the petals on the far left glow ....

Am anxious to see more!

...k...

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote