Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:47 PM   #1

Default FZ35 - amaryllis blooms

I took a few shots of some beautiful amaryllis blooms today. The sun was coming through a window (very uneasy about taking it outside, lest we dislodge the bulb in the pot; it is very top heavy with the blooms). I tried P shots, a couple of macro shots, and a couple of Ai shots. Perhaps the macro shots were a bit clearer, but distinctive. I've cropped them a little to eliminate some side noise in a couple of the images. These were shot with autowb, autoiso, and EC -2/3.

I've not used the variations on the WB setting. I see there is a grid of green and blue (?), several stops + and - on both scales. Would adjustments on the WB help with color? Actually, I don't think the color is bad from reality.

I want to do some experimenting because I intend to shoot lots of daffodils in a few weeks. They will be outside, but under macro shooting, with bold color statements.

Any suggestions on what is posted here to improve in any regards? Thanks.
Attached Images

roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:07 PM   #2

nice pics,heres some of mine
dane/dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:34 PM   #3

Roger,

The colour looks fine -although you can always up the saturation a bit afterwards if you want them to be really bold.

I think the main issue here is lighting; you need the light to be more diffused to avoid the harsh shadows which rarely look good on a flower.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:53 AM   #4

All beautiful pic's...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:25 AM   #5

I think the colors are gorgeous and very sharp. The shadows are a bit distracting, can you move the flowers completely out of, or into sun? I love the way the petals are back-lit in #5. You could crop out the bottom part where you see the background and make it a close-up of the flower center.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
I think the colors are gorgeous and very sharp. The shadows are a bit distracting, can you move the flowers completely out of, or into sun? I love the way the petals are back-lit in #5. You could crop out the bottom part where you see the background and make it a close-up of the flower center.
I love amaryllis ... the color is striking! I agree w/saly on all counts ... I do like the last one, particularly w/the sun shining thru the petals.

...k...

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:08 PM   #7

thanks for the comments.

Another set of shots of the same blooms, but one day later. Several of the comments mentioned the harsh sun. Yesterday, the sun was full, and very bright, through the southern windows. This morning, the sun was not as high, but the sky was partly cloudy. The meant the sun was softer than yesterday for the first set of shots.

All these were taken on P, autowb, autoiso, and EC -2/3. Maybe it is my personal preference to shoot with EC -1/3, -2/3, or sometimes -1. I believe that using EC 0, the images are overexposed. My previous camera (6,000 images in two years) was primarily used with EC -2/3. I tried EC 0 many times, but always felt the images were overexposed, and eventually migrated back to -2/3.

I think these shots are softer than the previous ones because of the lack of harsh light, sharp shadows. Agree, or not agree? Any other feedback is welcome.
Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:11 PM   #8

Oh yes, one more thing, ... I used spot meter, unlike the shots of yesterday.

I would like to have some with the yellow stamen (hope I have that part rightly identified) more in focus. They are such a small part of the image, the camera cannot pick them out for focus. Any suggestions on procedure to help make this happen? Do I need to do a prefocus at a closer distance, allowing the focus to be on the plane of the petal, then back off the two inches, or so, the distance between the back petal and the stamen?

#2 has these flower parts in best focus of any of the five images.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:23 PM   #9

I like #2, also, very pretty. Are you on point focus setting? Even then, it is hard to focus on a small point like that. You can try manual focus. Also, as you move in to the shade, it gets harder to focus.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:00 PM   #10

Yep, #2 is definitely my fave ... very nice.

"Creativity is about the play & a kind of willingness to go with your intuition. It's crucial to an artist." ... Frank Gehry ...
Katsi is offline   Reply With Quote