Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:29 AM   #1
skv

Default TZ10/ZS7 low light shooting

Hi!

I'm about to buy an point and shoot camera, and the TZ10 is one of the contenders!

I'm also looking at the Sony HX5V, and I've read about everything I can about the two cameras. I'm aware of the fact that the HX5V's noise reduction is really over-doing it. But I guess that won't make much of a difference if you're not gonna pixel peep or print up a quite large print? Or is it really visible easier than that? I need the camera for a semester abroad, and ofcourse i want great pictures. But they don't need to be perfect.

I also wonder how the low-light capabilities are for both of these, since I've read alot about the handheld twilight mode of the Sony. Can the TZ10 compete with that, handheld without a tripod that is? Also, which one has the best auto-mode?

Thanks in advance guys, this forum has been a great help!

SKV
skv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:18 PM   #2
skv

Sorry for bumping this, but I would really appreciate some help regarding this. It's time to buy one of these already!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:28 PM   #3

You should probably post this in the "What kind of camera should I buy?" section of the forum...or whatever it's called!

However, I can tell you that I recently purchased and returned the ZS7. For my needs, the indoor shots were really not adequate. I was taking pictures of my kids...I think it's probably even more difficult to get good shots of moving targets than if something is stationary, and my kids are not very stationary. I thought it was a fantastic camera, outside on a sunny day. I got some incredible shots in that setting. However, in the end, I decided that I'd rather have something more versatile in various lighting situations than something with a decent zoom. I am currently trying to decide between the Panasonic LX5 and the Canon S95.

Good luck with your search.
acscoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:05 PM   #4

skv and acscoggins-

The ZS5 and ZS7 pretty much can handle a numerical ISO increase up to and including ISO 400. Beyond that you get to much visible noise in your photo. There is an alternative:use the High Sensitivity Scene Mode. That will allow you to use numerically higher ISO settings right up to ISO 1600 and ISO 3200. However, the resolution of your photo is reduced to 3mp, and it is best used on stationary and nearly stationary subjects. The same is true for Sony's HX5 Handheld Twilight Mode.

In addition the ZS5 and ZS7 have rather weak built-in flash units. I realize that most folks want a very small compact zoom camera, but that category of cameras has some real drawbacks in their features. The Canon SX130 is, in my estimation, a much better alternative to either the ZS7 or the HX5.

If you are willing to go somewhat larger in terms of physical size, the image quality will measurably improve in cameras such as the FZ35, FZ40, and Sony HX1.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:14 PM   #5
skv

Thanks or the answer Sarah! Do you mean that the handheld twilight mode reduces the photos to 3mp, or just that it's best used on stationary subjects?

Also, is the auto mode fairly the same in both of the cameras, or does one of them have any advantage?

For now, I really don't want to go for any bigger size than these two. I'm going to Seoul for a semester, and therefore a pocketable size is quite important

SKV
Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:35 PM   #6

SKV-

Let's be clear: On the ZS7 when the High Sensitivity Scene Mode is used, the Resolution is reduced to 3mp. Stopping any action is dependent upon the shutter speed that is selected by the ZS7 which is usually pretty high.

On the HX5 the Handheld Twilight Mode does NOT reduce the camera's resolution. Once again stopping any action is wholly dependent on the shutter speed that is selected by the HX5.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
In addition the ZS5 and ZS7 have rather weak built-in flash units. I realize that most folks want a very small compact zoom camera, but that category of cameras has some real drawbacks in their features. The Canon SX130 is, in my estimation, a much better alternative to either the ZS7 or the HX5.

If you are willing to go somewhat larger in terms of physical size, the image quality will measurably improve in cameras such as the FZ35, FZ40, and Sony HX1.

Sarah Joyce
Again, all of the named cameras use the same size sensor as the ZS7 and thus aren't going to do any better in low light. In fact, the FZ35 uses the exact same sensor as the ZS7 (which does better than the FZ40 in low light). The above cameras simply have stronger flashes. Without the flash, these cameras will do no better than a ZS7 and in some case, even worse (FZ40 for example).
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:05 AM   #8

Wouldn't the F of 2.8 on the FZ40 allow it to take as good if not slightly better low light photos when compared to those taken with a F of 3.3 ... esp with equivalent sensors..?

Thanks
banosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:41 AM   #9

banosser-

Yes, I believe that the larger aperture of the FZ40 does provide the advantage of capturing more light. All in all, I have been pleased with the image quality from the FZ40.

Sarah Joyce