Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:15 PM   #1

Default Auto Exposure Bracketing

To do Hdr pics , is it possible to make the FZ38 take the pics automatically rather than physically have to take each pic then adjust ?
Not explained very well , hope someone understands
Forzahibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:25 AM   #2

Yes, it is. Press the +/- button to select the EV. Press +/- a second time and you can set the bracketing. I believe it has a range of +/- 3 EV (at least the FZ40 does) and it takes a set of 3 bracketed exposures.

BTW, press +/- a third time and you can adjust flash strength.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:49 AM   #3

There was a technique that allowed you to take 9 or 6 photos with the fz35 with changing the bracket but i cant find it right now, if anyone remembers please let us know.
geoper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:01 AM   #4

It's only +-1 bracketing on the fz38 and +-2 manual which combined gives you +-3. I manually set it to -2 and do a +-1 bracket set giving me -3,-2,-1 then I do +1ev and do a +-1 bracket set to give me 0,1,2 and then combine the six. You could get an extra seventh +3 exposure at the top but I don't think it's worth it. Six is enough. If you want more than 3 you'll have to make sure you keep the camera pretty steady while you change the settings for the extras.

Alternatively if you do need more range, try S mode with ISO fixed at 80 and take exposures from 1/2000s to 8s depending on the scene

Last edited by MartinSykes; Feb 7, 2011 at 9:04 AM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardPermaculture View Post
Yes, it is. Press the +/- button to select the EV. Press +/- a second time and you can set the bracketing. I believe it has a range of +/- 3 EV (at least the FZ40 does) and it takes a set of 3 bracketed exposures.

BTW, press +/- a third time and you can adjust flash strength.
Yes i can see what you mean there , so how would i go about an Hdr pic (in laymans terms)
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
It's only +-1 bracketing on the fz38 and +-2 manual which combined gives you +-3. I manually set it to -2 and do a +-1 bracket set giving me -3,-2,-1 then I do +1ev and do a +-1 bracket set to give me 0,1,2 and then combine the six. You could get an extra seventh +3 exposure at the top but I don't think it's worth it. Six is enough. If you want more than 3 you'll have to make sure you keep the camera pretty steady while you change the settings for the extras.

Alternatively if you do need more range, try S mode with ISO fixed at 80 and take exposures from 1/2000s to 8s depending on the scene
Martin , when you have time could you walk me through that technique please (an Fz38 hdr for dummies if you like)

Appreciate the replies folks
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:17 AM   #7

Sure -

1/ In P-Mode, press the +/- button twice to get to the auto bracket function
2/ Press the right button three times (the one with the flash symbol on it) - the -1,0,+1 will each have a yellow square under it.
3/ Press the menu button to set it
4/ press the +/- button once to get to the exposure compensation. press the left button until the -2 has the yellow square under it, then press the menu button to set it.
5/ Take the first set of three pictures. It will take the -2 first, then the -3 and then the -1
6/ press the +/- once and press the right button until the +1 has the yellow square under it. press the menu button to set it.
7/ take the next 3 shots. It will take a +1,0,+2.
8/ You now have 6 exposures - -3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2 which you can combine in the software of your choice.

Or the alternative option is to use S-Mode:

1/ Set it to S-mode, go into the menu and fix the ISO at 80.
2/ Set the shutter speed to 1/2000s and take the first shot
3/ Set the shutter speed to 1/1000s and take the next shot
4/ Repeat at 1/500,1/250 etc. Repeatedly doubling the shutter speed until it's so slow that the whole scene is over-exposed or you get to the limit of 8s. You could go up to 60s in manual mode I guess if you were doing night-time HDR.
5/ As before, combine the exposures in your software of choice.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
Sure -

1/ In P-Mode, press the +/- button twice to get to the auto bracket function
2/ Press the right button three times (the one with the flash symbol on it) - the -1,0,+1 will each have a yellow square under it.
3/ Press the menu button to set it
4/ press the +/- button once to get to the exposure compensation. press the left button until the -2 has the yellow square under it, then press the menu button to set it.
5/ Take the first set of three pictures. It will take the -2 first, then the -3 and then the -1
6/ press the +/- once and press the right button until the +1 has the yellow square under it. press the menu button to set it.
7/ take the next 3 shots. It will take a +1,0,+2.
8/ You now have 6 exposures - -3,-2,-1,0,+1,+2 which you can combine in the software of your choice.

Or the alternative option is to use S-Mode:

1/ Set it to S-mode, go into the menu and fix the ISO at 80.
2/ Set the shutter speed to 1/2000s and take the first shot
3/ Set the shutter speed to 1/1000s and take the next shot
4/ Repeat at 1/500,1/250 etc. Repeatedly doubling the shutter speed until it's so slow that the whole scene is over-exposed or you get to the limit of 8s. You could go up to 60s in manual mode I guess if you were doing night-time HDR.
5/ As before, combine the exposures in your software of choice.
Ah ok , so my camera can only take 3 shots so you basically set it up twice to get the 6 different exposures ?
Martin thanks very much for that i appreciate it . As soon as i get a half decent result I'll post it up
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:43 AM   #9

Thanks for the reminder Martin i took one but with 3 exposures some days ago i will try with 6 now that is clear how to make it too and see what happens thanks
geoper2 is offline   Reply With Quote