Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:05 PM   #1

Default FZ40/LC-55 closeup lens camera settings

I thought I recalled reading some suggested camera settings for use with the LC-55 close-up adapter, but went back just now to find them and print them out- and am unable to locate... I thought it was in the comparison threads with the LC-55/Raynox 250 comparison- or the 2nd part- but am unable to really locate what I thought I saw... can one of you experts (hint: Saly!) help me out here??? Thanks!!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2011, 7:15 PM   #2

Wes, I'm no expert at all, but I can tell you what I use.
1) I don't use the Conversion Lens setting like the manual says. It's not necessary, all it does is zoom in to get past the extension tube so the image doesn't look like you are looking down a tunnel. You can simply zoom yourself.
2) Other camera settings are what you would normally use - I like P because it's the simplest.
3) It doesn't work great in low light like deep shade, so I only use it in sunlight for best result. If there is enough light, I usually don't need a tripod.
4) Always use point focus.
5) I toggle between point and center weighted meter, select the one that gives best exposure.
6) I like to place the camera 12 - 18 inches away and zoom in as much as the camera allows me to focus. The further away you are and more you zoom, you get better bokeh (fuzzy back and foreground) if that's the look you are going for.

I take lots and lots of shots of the same subject to increase the chance of getting at least one good one.. That's all I can think of at this time, feel free to ask if I left out anything.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:46 PM   #3

Thanks, Saly-
And once again, I must apologize.... I should not have addressed to just you- when there are certainly other experts with the LC55 on here as well- right, LTZ?? *smile*
Whoops- I did it AGAIN!!
Anyone's inputs appreciated here!!

Wes
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:46 AM   #4

G'day Wes

Common sense would tell you that with all close-up stuff, you will need as much Depth of Field as you can grab hold of
For my close up stuff I use "A" and set the FZ30 to f11 [& the FZ35 to f8] as that is its minimum F-number

I also try to locate the camera in such a way that I am shooting 'flat on' to the subject, rather than 'across' the subject so that whatever DoF I do get, it is in harmony with the subject

Hope this helps ...
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:22 PM   #5

Thanks, Phil!
Wes