Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:02 AM   #1

Default SDHC card storage

Hi, I'm an FZ40 user since December 2010, Just had a trip to one of the Landmark spots here in the Philippines in Bataan Mt. Samat where I took some photos. However during my trip, I suddenly experienced something when the camera was not able to store data or read the 16GB Transcend SDHC card. Luckily I just removed the card and replaced it again and worked.

What I would like to know from you guys if how you store your SDHC card.
On my experience I just leave it inside the camera. I lremove the battery of course. Is this safe or is this the cause of my problem with the SDHC card?

Although I'm not really sure about the authenticity of the SDHC card I purchased if it indeed was original. I bought it with my Camera in a Local store here where they sell great Cameras for a very reasonable price.

Sorry I'm not able to show some photos yet for I'm not sure how to do it..

Regards
jlc_photostudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2011, 4:26 AM   #2

G'day JLC

While it is recommended to remove batteries from things that will not be used for several months or more, as far as the SD card is concerned, I have not heard anything one way or the other

Maybe ... if you are in a high-humidity region, there might me an issue with corrosion of the terminals if something is left in place for a while. However I guess that if you are removing the SD card regularly to swap images into your computer [either direct into the computer or via a card reader] - there should be no issues with the card

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 6:22 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Phil.

I usually do that also remove the SDHC card once in a while when I transfer pictures to my personal laptop. I experienced this only once, yesterday morning actually. Its tropical here in the Philippines, but I dont know if visiting places with cold weather like Baguio which I visited recently and took some pictures there had some effect with me leaving alone the Card to its compartment. But right now I still leave it there, I'm guessing leaving it without anything in it would tend to moisten the contact?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:47 AM   #4

My card sometimes gets confused, but usually is recognized after I take it out and re-insert. This happens mostly often if you have it in your computer for downloading pictures, then you eject it without properly doing the "safely remove hardware" procedure.

It is a good idea to download and backup all your photos someplace safe and reformat the card every so often (I do it about once a month).
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:31 AM   #5

Thanks Saly;
That could have been the culprit, I may have forgotten to safely remove the SDHC card in my laptop.
Thanks for the advice, I've been backing up my photos in my laptop and on my portable HDD but have not formatted the Card, Do you format it in the FZ40 Menu's or in the PC (Windows 7)..

Thanks again
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:43 AM   #6

jlc - I forget to eject properly too! Anyway, you should always format your card in the camera you are going to use the card in.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:32 AM   #7

there is no problem SD card being inside camera for long time. just you need to store the whole thing in a very dry environment.

also, don't take camera near to high electrical / magnetic fields.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote