Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:53 AM   #1

Default fz38 wide angle converter?

Is there any fz38 wide angle converter for our beloved fz38? I like wide angle photography, so any help is wellcome!alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:05 AM   #2

Howdy Alexander,
Amazon USA has the DMW-LW55 55mm wide conversion lens (they say it is for FZ7, FZ30 & FZ50 but I have the LC55 close up lens which fits my FZ35/38) You also need to purchase the lens adaptor. Hope this helps
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:18 AM   #3

Thanks bansky! I just checked this out, it almost costs the price of the camera, 196 euros! I already have the adaptor, though. Any other alternative?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:32 AM   #4

Yeah, the price is a killer! I would like the tele converter which is AU$340 from a camera discounter but only US$199 on Amazon.
Sorry, I don't know of any alternatives but perhaps other members like LTZ may know of another brand that works on the FZ. Stand by for more replies.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 5:33 AM   #5

Has anybody ever used those BESEL attachments? I found some 'mega kit offers' here, is it any good? a http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/MEGA...Z38_t1808_4822
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:54 PM   #6

May I ask again:
Has anybody ever used those BESEL attachments? I found some 'mega kit offers' here, is it any good? a http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/MEGA...Z38_t1808_4822
Old Feb 8, 2011, 4:29 PM   #7

G'day Kibaris

some time ago I came across a Kodak W/a attachment meant for their 10x cameras made about 3-4 yrs ago. It has a 55mm thread to connect to camera

This device was gathering dust on a country camera shop back shelf ~ got it for $99 [tho the box was tagged at $249]
So ... maybe go looking for alternative lens brands???

Issues & problems ...
Using it on the FZ28/35 with the adapter tube in place - it makes a great lens hood - but at 1x zoom, I get a circular image [you will know all about this from using the FZ on 1x zoom when the tube is on the camera]
If I camera-menu-set "w/a conversion lens = ON", the camera auto-zooms to 3x and the w/a lens attachment merely returns it to seeing the same angle as I was getting on 1x zoom ... therefore there is no value in using the device

However -
when I put it onto my FZ30 or my old Fuji-5000 [whose adaptor tube does not make a circle like the FZ35 does], then this w/a lens goes like a dream. But both these 2 cameras lens starts at 35mm [35mm film equiv] so when I'm using the attachments, it converts to 28mm [35mm film equiv] ... thus it is giving me the same image as I am getting on 1x zoom from the FZ28/35 ... so - I am going around in circles

Hope this long-winded stuff helps
Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Feb 8, 2011 at 4:34 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:25 PM   #8

Phil,

That all makes lots of sense - and explains why the DMW-LW55 wouldn't work with the FZ35/40/100 either.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:22 AM   #9

So far I didn't quite understand... a.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:39 PM   #10

G'day all

I think that one of the biggest issues for us "fz28/35/???" owners is that when the Panny conversion-lens adapter is in use, that the camera gives us a circular image
If the tube was 3 or 4mm-1/8inch shorter we would not see the circular cut-off image

Although the actual lens itself has a 46mm thread [and thus you & I can use any 46mm filters directly onto the lens barrel] - the movable lens barrel will not take the extra weight of either of the 2 conversion lenses

eg:

Another alternative that 'may' be a possibility for some people is to hunt up a movie-camera wide angle attachment. I bought one for $25!!! several years ago and although it is not 'perfect' it does give me some inveresting results

Firstly - when I screw it directly onto my FZ30 with its "35mm to 420mm 12x lens" - I get a w/a image of "3/4 of 35mm, ie: 24mm" ... in other words the same as you/I using our FZ28/35s. In other words, the newer cameras have as much wide angle as I get with the attachment

However if I zoom between 1x and 3x zoom, the image I get is that of a fish-eye lens, so I can have fun with this lens too

Hope this helps some of you
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote