Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 11, 2011, 1:36 PM   #21

Stefan-

Thanks for your comments. I am willing to do as much as anyone wants to help promote increasing photo knowledge.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:42 PM   #22

I have read this thread with interest as i too would love a DSLR but being unsure what i would buy. If i had as many cameras as LTZ and Sarah boy would i be spoilt for choice but would have great fun using them. Here in the UK cameras are much more expensive than in the USA so if i could buy at USA prices i might just buy one.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:55 PM   #23

Well, here are 4 more photos from four more different cameras of our star subject, Arnold. For each photo, I have uploaded an image via the website's software as well as a link to a full resolution image.

The lesson to be learned in this set of photos, appropriately designated Photo #4, photo #5, photo #6 and photo #7 is simply this: better light produces better image quality because lower ISO settings can be used, and because getting the WB correct is much easier.

This post is of photo#4, and here is the link to the full resolution image:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ar...66_9yyTm-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:58 PM   #24

This is Photo #5, and the link to the full resolution image:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ar...69_igZ2s-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:00 PM   #25

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Sarah Joyce,

very good picture.

I like Arnold, he is very nice and I grudge you for such a set and model right in front of your home.

I am curious for the pix of Arnold with the FZ40/45.

Cheers,

Stefan
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:03 PM   #26

Here is photo #6 and the link to a full resolution copy of photo #6:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ar...03_HJaTS-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:15 PM   #27

Here is photo #7, as well as the link to the full resolution copy of photo #7.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ar...03_iuZkR-L.jpg

Two more lesson from this series: (1) If you are shooting a low light/numerically high ISO setting photo, you will have to be exact with the exposure, the WB, and the need to reduce visible electronic noise by keeping your numerical ISO setting under control. (2) If you are using flash, it must be used properly, with attention once again to getting the correct exposure, the correct WB, and maintaining the proper Flash Range (the distance, measured in feet, between the camera and the subject. The correct Flash Range for the FZ35/38 and FZ40/45's built-in flash units is just 10 to 12 feet. If you are more distant than 10 to 12 feet, you will have an under exposed photo. If you want to take photos at a Flash Range greater than 12 feet, you will have to use an accessory Slave Flash to add more light to your photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:41 PM   #28

Sarah

Thank you for your answer and thank you for your offer to help. I know one of the problems I have is remembering to set the WB. Although mostly I use Auto White Balance. Sometime I change it for conditions and forget to change it back. I know right now my subject matter may not be interesting but I need to practice on whatever is available to shoot at. Composition would probable be the next problem. Then I quess it would be metering and focus?
I have posted a few pics from today as we actuall have sun shine and 25 degree heat wave. These pics were done with the FZ100 i used a white piece of paper to set the white balance outside. The first picture is a truck doing between 45 to 55 mph with 1/2000 shutter speed at iso 100 single shot not in burst mode. Someone had mention it may not be fast enough for action shots. I did try the 5 shot burst mode and stsrted to laugh while I watched the camera take 5 pictures in a row, amazing

Anyway I believe these cameras can do well outside on well lit days. I like the LX5 for it compactness, but putting an external flash on a LX5 is like hooking you car battery to your cell phone it kind of defeats the purpose.
I would love to learn more about getting the best out of these camera's and I did take a 4 day course. Evedently 4 days is not enough
Joe I think alot of your photo's are very good, and you also have had good light to shoot in.
So I gather from some of you here, like I have heard before if you don't like the FZ35 you won't like the FZ40 either. So I may spend more and not have any better luck with the pentax K-x either.

Where do I start Sarah, It seems there are others that would like to learn more also.

Thanks
Mark
Attached Images

popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 3:51 PM   #29

There is allot you can learn form youtube, dslrtips have workshop, and a host of other have put up videos on photography there. It may be a low cost way to learn more. But at the end you will need to take what the video or class show you and practice and experiment with different setting to really improve and learn about photography.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 8:19 PM   #30

@ Mark
Thanks and as soon as I get a piccy in low light, that im happy with, Ill post it

I like your photos, especially #4. Im a sucker for snow shots, as Ive never seen snow myself.

Youtube videos have been a great help for my learning curve. If your into that sort of thing, check out Bryan Petersons videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/ppsop2009

@ Sarah
Great examples, the shot with the A230 is a gem. Thank Arnold for being such a great model for us

My Flickr

Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote