Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:07 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbmw20 View Post
The first 4 pics you posted would have been GREAT for me, I don't really care about the tires having a blur, but ALL my pics of moving cars looked exactly like the last pic you posted with the two blurred cars to the left of the pic, even when the cars were moving slowly, it was still a badly blurred pic.
Set ISO speed as high as you can tolerate (keeping in mind that sometimes some noise or loss of detail from noise reduction can be better than blur from subject movement, and you'll need to find the best balance for your desired print sizes). Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same aperture and lighting.

Then, take lots of photos, panning with the cars to try and keep them the same place in the frame. That lets you use slower shutter speeds. But, it takes lots of panning practice to get any keepers using shutter speeds as slow as you'll probably have.

Even with a dSLR capable of very high ISO Speeds, the number of keepers is going to be relatively small at a night race, even with careful panning. You just don't have much light (hence the slow shutter speeds you'll see I used for those pics).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 12:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Set ISO speed as high as you can tolerate (keeping in mind that sometimes some noise or loss of detail from noise reduction can be better than blur from subject movement, and you'll need to find the best balance for your desired print sizes). Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same aperture and lighting.

Then, take lots of photos, panning with the cars to try and keep them the same place in the frame. That lets you use slower shutter speeds. But, it takes lots of panning practice to get any keepers using shutter speeds as slow as you'll probably have.

Even with a dSLR capable of very high ISO Speeds, the number of keepers is going to be relatively small at a night race, even with careful panning. You just don't have much light (hence the slow shutter speeds you'll see I used for those pics).

Awesome, thanks so much for the helpful info Jim. I haven't been down to Oglethorpe in probably 14+ years, we only raced there about 4 or 5 times, they had a funky track tire rule way back when we raced and it just wasn't affordable or profitable for us to HAVE to buy their track tire JUST to run at THEIR track and not have a good payout for 1st place. I STILL have one of my old racecars we're fixing to get back on the track, if you EVER see a BMW racing on dirt track (hence the screen name of Dirtbmw20), come over and say hello,LOL. I raced in the same class as the mustang pics you posted, ministock, although I'de much rather be in that blue late model,lol. Thank you again for the help.
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Administrator

I lived in your "neck of the woods" some years back. I lived in Martinez and worked in the Augusta office for Dixie Communication Systems selling mostly Toshiba and Mitel phone systems for a short time in the mid 80s (probably around 1985 if memory serves), after working for them in a small branch they opened in Charleston, SC (and my wife worked for them out of their Columbia office at the same time I was in Augusta, although we weren't married at the time).

Dixie was an Electronics Distributor headquartered in Columbia, SC area, and had divisions selling phone systems and nurse call systems, too. I think their phone business was later acquired by Teleco out of Greenville, SC.

I also spent time in Augusta in the 70s when stationed at Fort Gordon for a while going to Army schools there when I was in the U.S. Navy (the Navy sent personnel to some of the Cryptographic Equipment schools at Ft. Gordon at the time).

But, I never made it to any dirt track races while there.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I lived in your "neck of the woods" some years back. I lived in Martinez and worked in the Augusta office for Dixie Communication Systems selling mostly Toshiba and Mitel phone systems for a short time in the mid 80s (probably around 1985 if memory serves), after working for them in a small branch they opened in Charleston, SC (and my wife worked for them out of their Columbia office at the same time I was in Augusta, although we weren't married at the time).

Dixie was an Electronics Distributor headquartered in Columbia, SC area, and had divisions selling phone systems and nurse call systems, too. I think their phone business was later acquired by Teleco out of Greenville, SC.

I also spent time in Augusta in the 70s when stationed at Fort Gordon for a while going to Army schools there when I was in the U.S. Navy (the Navy sent personnel to some of the Cryptographic Equipment schools at Ft. Gordon at the time).

But, I never made it to any dirt track races while there.
WOW.... That's great Jim. I'm 41 years old and was born and raised here, we moved to Signal Mountain Tenn. when I was 5 but moved back to Augusta when I was 6, other than that time, I have lived here my whole life.

When I was 9 years old, we moved from the Augusta area up to the Martinez area. My dad was also stationed at Fort Gordon way back in the day before I was even thought about,lol, that is how he met my mom here in Augusta and I guess the rest is history. The local race track is actually located right across the street from Fort Gordon's property and two of the main gates are just about a mile or so down the road from the track. Back in the late 70's and all of the 80's, that is when our local track was BOOMING and had great races with great promoters, now it has really gone down hill.

In the 80's, my dad owned a automotive parts store located right on Bobby Jones Expressway called Specialty Import Auto Parts (IAP) and we sold STRICTLY import auto parts, we closed in 1989 and went to work at other places, you just MAY remember our store, dunno. Just for kicks and giggles, here are a few pics of my old BMW race cars which of course had my dad's parts store as our primary sponsor, except when we got the white car, THEN we lucked up and got Valvoline as a MAJOR ($10,000 a year) sponsor and also BMW gave us "partial" sponsorship too.

My very first BMW race car, it was a 1974 BMW 2002

My second BMW race car, it was a 1975 BMW 2002

My third BMW race car, it was a 1977 BMW 320i
Dirtbmw20 is offline   Reply With Quote