Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 11, 2011, 4:49 PM   #1

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
Default What is the best teleconverter for the FZ40/45?

Hi everybody,

I need a little bit advice for buying a teleconverter for my FZ40/45.
Which converter gives the best IQ (even under difficult light conditions), the original Panasonic DWM-LT55, the Raynox DCR-202PRO High-Definition, the Raynox DCR-1541PRO or the Siocore 1.8X High Definition?

I need the teleconverter for birding and wildlife photography (e.g. deers in mountains).

Cheers,

Stefan
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:48 PM   #2

Stefan-

Firstly you will need a lens adapter for your camera. The Nikon teleconvertor that LTZ uses seem to produce the best image quality in good lighting. I believe the Nikon designator is EC-17, or something close to that. Perhaps LTZ will pop in to this thread and he can give you more exact information on the Nikon model number.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:40 PM   #3

Just in case TLZ doesn't see this thread, I will respond with information he gave me for my FZ35.
Not sure if the 35 and 40/45 are the same size, but the tele converter TLZ suggested is a Nikon TC-E17ED with a 55-60mm adaptor ring.
I understand these are pretty hard to get so you may have to try ebay as well as Amazon etc. Good luck
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:41 PM   #4

Ooops, sorry LTZ I got the letters back-to-front!
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 9:43 PM   #5

The Panasonic Lt55 works very well but it is expensive. I got mine for $75 on ebay though but it goes originally for a little over $200. I think the Olympus TCON-17 1.7x is cheaper but I cannot find it on the internet.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 5:43 AM   #6

i did this
heres a few pics of how i cut down my nikon tc-15ed so its smaller lighter less shadowing because of the recess in the tc15ed. time taken 1 hour and time for waiting for poxy resin to set .
cut it right down to the barel, as the fz45 adapter has enough room at the end and the 55mm-37mm step down ring is perfect fit ,i cannot upload picture used with the lens as i want to make sure resin set ok first (upload later)

when cut down the tc-15ed is just as sharp if not better as you can find on forum heres the link ,this is what inspired me to do it ,thought i would share with you guys as u might find it interestesing
stesteste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanS View Post
Hi everybody,

I need a little bit advice for buying a teleconverter for my FZ40/45.
Which converter gives the best IQ (even under difficult light conditions), the original Panasonic DWM-LT55, the Raynox DCR-202PRO High-Definition, the Raynox DCR-1541PRO or the Siocore 1.8X High Definition?

I need the teleconverter for birding and wildlife photography (e.g. deers in mountains).

Cheers,

Stefan
Sorry I am late for party Stefan...but the Nikon TC-E17ED is the best teleconverter...it does require a 55mm Male X 60mm Female Thread Step Up Adapter to work in conjunction with the Panasonic DMW-LA5 Adapter...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:58 PM   #8

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

LTZ470,

thanks a lot, but in Germany it is really difficult to get the Nikon TC-E17ED for an acceptable price. It is much easier to get the Olympus TCON-17 or Panasonic DWM-LT55.

Cheers, Stefan
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:29 PM   #9

Is the Nikon TC-E17ED still available in the US or in Europe? If so, where can I buy it?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:28 PM   #10

Default Tcon17

This is really aimed at LTZ470, but if others know the answer please feel free to reply.

When you refer to the TCON17 teleconveter, which version is suitable for the FZ40/45? When I Google I find the following results

TCON17 for C5050, C760, C765

TCON17 for SP310, 320, 350

TCON17 for SP31

TCON17F 200357 (marked as Olympus America)

TCON17C

Also, when you refer to the Raynox 250 Macro attachment, will it fit directly to the front of the FZ40/45 lens or does it require an adapter?

Thanks in advance.
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote