Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:39 AM   #1

Default attachments' diameter question.

Am I right to say that a 55 (or whatever) diameter filter, ALWAYS provides the same diameter for another attachment to add?a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:59 PM   #2

No answer so far, so let me tell you why I ask this strange question.

I made this arrangement (lens hood base+a 'broken glass' 55mm filter) so I can turn on the camera without having to remove the lens cup.

And the question is: my w/a converter (I want to buy one) does it have to be 55mm? Does it work on top of all this arrangement or no?

Any answer from fz-experts is more than wellcome!
Thanks in advance,
a.
Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2011, 1:20 PM   #3

k - If I'm not mistaken, the w/a lens (LW-55) attaches to the extension tube just like the teleconverter and closeup lens do (LT-55 and LC-55). The tube positions the lens further out so the zoomed primary lens doesn't bump into the adapter lens. The extension tube is 55mm and takes any conversion lens (the L__-55 series). I don't know if there is a w/a lens that screws directly into the primary lens, which is a 46mm diameter.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
I don't know if there is a w/a lens that screws directly into the primary lens, which is a 46mm diameter.
If you can see, the whole arrangement is on the outer ring, so I want to know if the converters can screw on this outer 55mm thing.
a.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:30 PM   #5

You know what? I think I better keep quiet because I really don't know enough about the w/a lens. I know that the LW55 works with other FZs but I'm not positive how it works with a FZ35/38. I was assuming it screws into the extension tube like the LT55 and LC55 but I can't say for sure. Sorry, I hope I didn't mis-lead you.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 3:28 PM   #6

G'day Kibaris

I'm not sure that I have grabbed your Q but I'll try to answer my interpretation of it

1- you have made up a gadget to permit the camera to power 'on' without the lens moving fwd and bumping into the lens cap & risking jamming the lens motor ... okay, good idea

2- As you have used a 55mm dia filter ring, it makes sense to use any lens attachment that also has a 55mm dia thread

3- If for example, you found a 52mm lens device, it seems to me quite easy to insert a 55->52 step down ring and use the lens. The same would apply if it were a 58mm lens device ... a 55 -> 58 step up ring needed in this case

4- Although the actual lens unit has a 46mm thread, I would NOT under any circumstances use a 46mm auxiliary lens device directly on the lens. The weight of the extra lens device will burn out the motor very quickly

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 4:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
No answer so far, so let me tell you why I ask this strange question.

I made this arrangement (lens hood base+a 'broken glass' 55mm filter) so I can turn on the camera without having to remove the lens cup.

And the question is: my w/a converter (I want to buy one) does it have to be 55mm? Does it work on top of all this arrangement or no?

Any answer from fz-experts is more than wellcome!
Thanks in advance,
a.
Does your lens cap clip onto the broken 55mm filter ok ?
Forzahibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2011, 8:05 PM   #8

Kibaris/Alexander-

Perhaps a photo is worth 1,000 words. Here is a photo of my FZ40 with the lens adapter attached and the Tcon 1.7 and 55mm lens cap sitting beside the camera. As you can see the lens adapter tube has to be a lot longer than just the 55mm lens that you are using. The reason is that is necessary to allow the lens assembly full movement without hitting the accessory lens.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
Does your lens cap clip onto the broken 55mm filter ok ?
Yes, it works with no problem at all . Bear in mind though that you need a bit of glue between the Broken-glass-filter and the hood base, but it is ok.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:10 AM   #10

Now things become ...solid-glass clear! Thanks everyone! So our attachments have to be 55mm to attach on the tube right?
A.

Last edited by kibaris; Feb 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM.