Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 15, 2011, 4:45 PM   #1

Default Yellow Rose and Red Tulip

Tried Macro shooting today unsuccessfully as you see.
Both were taken indoors from Valentine Day's gift from hubby.
The Rose was taken at F3.4 @200 ISO and 1/40.
The Tulip was taken at F3.4 @800 ISO and 1/25
White Balance set at tungsten.

What did I do wrong and how do i do better next time?
E
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:14 PM   #2

E-

The yellow rose is not bad at all, but on the red tulip you clearly exceeded the close focus range of the Macro Mode, getting too close, and the result was a fuzzy photo.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:38 PM   #3

eysha - the rose does look pretty good. But as I wrote before, available light makes all the difference in close-up photography. I'm sure I could not have done any better than you indoors. It's extremely hard to get clear images in limited light. Wait for a sunny day and try again!
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:11 AM   #4

Thanks Sarah, i was just too close to the subject? OK, how can i be sure i am not to close next time as it looked OK on the camera?
Thanks Saly, these were taken indoors as i said, as for sunshine we haven't had any for ages and none predicted as yet.
I used both macro mode and P mode on these and didn't see a difference. I can keep trying but should i use the macro mode or not?
Thanks again
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:14 AM   #5

Eysha - if the tulip looked ok on the LCD are you sure you did not move the camera slightly when you pressed the shutter. If you are using a tripod, then it is a good idea to use the self timer (I use the 10 second option) so that you can then press the shutter very carefully & by the time it fires the camera will be rock steady. I find that instead of just pressing down on the shutter it is better to put my thumb underneath the camera & use index finger on shutter so I am squeezing with a pincer movement rather than pressing down only. This might not work for someone with shortish fingers!!
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks Sarah, i was just too close to the subject? OK, how can i be sure i am not to close next time as it looked OK on the camera?
Thanks Saly, these were taken indoors as i said, as for sunshine we haven't had any for ages and none predicted as yet.
I used both macro mode and P mode on these and didn't see a difference. I can keep trying but should i use the macro mode or not?
Thanks again
E.

eysha - as long as you get the green "in focus" indicator, your subject should be in focus as long as you don't move the camera when you press the shutter. Also, when you do get the green indicator, make sure it is on your subject. Sometimes your camera will pick up something behind your subject so you need to look at your LCD to make sure your subject really is in focus.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:36 AM   #7

Thanks Brownie and Saly. I do shake a bit so that's probably it.