Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:09 AM   #1

Default horse

Hi Got out yesterday as the sun was out a bit, not really bright but brighter than it has been lately.
Saw this poor old horse in a field and took s 3 shots of him.
Last one is the aeroplane which i tried, not wonderful but given that i was on a very bumpy bus at the time of shooting and it was a long way away its not too bad - what do you think?
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:14 AM   #2

The first horse is OOF and the Airplane is just an OK shot...but the two center horse photos are very well done Eysha, good color, composition, and sharpness...beautiful horse and you captured him/her very well!
When they are nibbling on wood it's called cribbing it's a nervous habit much the same as when folks bite their nails...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:22 AM   #3

Thanks LTZ, i know the plane shot isn't wonderful but it was passing and i thought i would try it. I am surprised it came out at all really but it is the first plane i have shot. Hope to do better int he future.
What's OOF? Not heard of that before.
Thanks.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks LTZ, i know the plane shot isn't wonderful but it was passing and i thought i would try it. I am surprised it came out at all really but it is the first plane i have shot. Hope to do better int he future.
What's OOF? Not heard of that before.
Thanks.
E.
Nice pictures. First is indeed a little OOF (Out Of Focus). The 3rd seems to be in focus on the for-head of the horse, but the nose seems to OOF again (If you want to prevent this a higher F-number will probably do the trick).

The plane looks zoomed in (?) I always lose a lot of detail when zooming, but I guess thats a fair trade-off.
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:57 AM   #5

Thanks. Yes the plane is zoomed in fully, well it was a long way away, lol.
I used spot metering so must have gone for forhead i guess. still grappling with f stops etc, not finding it easy. E.

Old Feb 17, 2011, 9:08 AM   #6

F-stops took me a while to understand.

Low f-number like 2.8 give you more light and small Depth of Field (DoF)

High f-numbers like 8.0 give you less light and large DoF

A small DoF is for instance when the for head is in focus and the nose is not. A large DoF will bring the nose in focus together with the whole head.

See my reading glass picture (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ted-about.html) to see a small DoF (look at the right border and at the letters. When increasing the f-number more letters should become focused
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:47 AM   #7

eysha - #1 I think your camera moved because everything is blurred. #2 and 3 look good!
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:03 AM   #8

Lovely pictures but what a sad horse
Forzahibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:59 AM   #9

Thanks Rafelw. I looked at the f-stop for that horse photo where the nose is not focused well, third photo,it was F4 @200 ISO and 1/125. What f-stop would you have recommended?
I agree Saly, i probably did move. Cannot seem to get the camera to change f-stops etc, no idea why though, How do you do it?
Forzahibs, i totally agree, it hought the same thing and felt very sorry for her/him.
E.

Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
I agree Saly, i probably did move. Cannot seem to get the camera to change f-stops etc, no idea why though, How do you do it?
E.

e - probably the easiest way to change your f-stop (aperture value) is to set your camera in A mode, then use the joystick to change the f number. Push it as high as your camera lets you.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote