Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 11, 2004, 2:21 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 13
Default

I am thinking about getting an FZ10 and have a few questions.
1. I have seen ads for this camera with: 680mAh batteries with either 7.2 or 3.6volts, and one ad had listed a 1400mAh battery.
Are there different batteries available for this camera with different mAh ratings, or is this just ignorance on the sellers parts?

2. Is usage similar between batteries of similar mAh ratings? Do the 2100mAh Nimh AA battery packs last 2 times longer than 680mAh LiIon batteries?

3. How well can the FZ10 be used for panarama shots [using the Arcsoftware]. I currently have a Canon G1 that is very easy to get panarama shots. So far it seems that I should keep the G1 [can't sell it for much anyway] for indoor and panarama shots.

4. How is the FZ10 for rapid shots of fast moving things outdoors? I would use it for shooting race cars and bikes on the track. Is this all usable at telephoto settings?

Thanks for any info.
Tim
TimXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 9:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimXX
1. I have seen ads for this camera with: 680mAh batteries with either 7.2 or 3.6volts, and one ad had listed a 1400mAh battery. Are there different batteries available for this camera with different mAh ratings, or is this just ignorance on the sellers parts?
Not that I'm aware of. There is a battery that has identical dimensions to the FZ1/2/10 battery, but it's much thinner and is (I believe) for use on another Panasonic camera (maybe one of those little digital video cameras?). I was sent one of those by accident when ordering from someone other than Eagle Imports, and then was sent a replacement that looked the same as the correct battery, but it would lock into the charger or the camera. You have to be careful when buying a battery for a camera where the battery fits inside the camera. There's more room for error with cameras where the battery slides into place on the outside of the camera (like most video cameras), but with the battery being installed in a battery compartment, sometimes if the dimensions or contact points are even slightly off from the OEM battery, it won't fit or work.

Quote:
2. Is usage similar between batteries of similar mAh ratings? Do the 2100mAh Nimh AA battery packs last 2 times longer than 680mAh LiIon batteries?
It should be -- the battery should just last longer. However, again, I have never heard of such a battery for the Panasonic FZ cameras.

Quote:
3. How well can the FZ10 be used for panarama shots [using the Arcsoftware]. I currently have a Canon G1 that is very easy to get panarama shots. So far it seems that I should keep the G1 [can't sell it for much anyway] for indoor and panarama shots.
Can't really say about the FZ10, but my FZ1 takes great panoramic shots -- even handheld and with the camera turned in portrait mode. I use the Panorama Factory software -- they recently went up in price, but I've been using it since it was inexpensive shareware. It's very powerful, automatic (or not), and smooths brightness, whitebalance, exposure, etc., differences between pictures nicely.

Quote:
4. How is the FZ10 for rapid shots of fast moving things outdoors? I would use it for shooting race cars and bikes on the track. Is this all usable at telephoto settings?
I'll let an FZ10 owner answer that one for you.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:58 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8
Default

I purchased a battery from your second link. It does work and it seems to work as long as the original. However, even though it does fit, you may have to force it into the battery compartment more than you feel comfortable with. The battery is the same size but the notches on the bottom edge do not exactly match the Panasonic battery.
manof1000faces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 1:21 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7
Default

Was that EagleImports?

Contacted this firm with a request of sending the battery to New Zealand, still waiting for a reply

Not sure that I would be happy forcing the battery, in fact your message has some what turned me off getting this battery

Has anyone else had a problem with inserting the battery into the camera?
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
m.achure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 114
Default

Here are a few pictures that are posted, concerning possible problems with FZ1/2/10 batteries.

http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/fz10_battery_pics
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:23 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks for the information.

The more I read about the EagleImport battery, the less I'm inclined to buy one

That's assuming that the fake battery shown, is the same as the one sold by EagleImports.

The battery isn't available in New Zealand (Panasonic or fake) does anyone know how I can get one of these delivered to NZ?
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:47 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer
Thanks for the information.

The more I read about the EagleImport battery, the less I'm inclined to buy one

That's assuming that the fake battery shown, is the same as the one sold by EagleImports.
There's nothing wrong with the Eagle Imports battery, I use one myself. And the fake one in the picture is not the one Eagle Imports is selling. Go back up to the top of this thread and read all my replies and follow the link to the FZ1 battery discussion.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:47 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer
Thanks for the information.

The more I read about the EagleImport battery, the less I'm inclined to buy one

That's assuming that the fake battery shown, is the same as the one sold by EagleImports.
No, it is not.

The battery sold by EagleImports is a 3rd party "compatible" battery. It is not a fake as it does not say "Panasonic".
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:28 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7
Default

Well, that's eased my mind, thanks for the info.

This brings me to my other point...does anyone know how I can purchase the EagleImports battery internationally
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:36 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer
Well, that's eased my mind, thanks for the info.

This brings me to my other point...does anyone know how I can purchase the EagleImports battery internationally
Email them and ask?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:40 PM.