Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:12 PM   #11

After having my FZ35 for almost two months, I think I'm ready to repack it in the bag. I see these shots, plus others, shot with FZ35 or FZ40, and I'm blown away. Nothing I'm shooting is like these shots, or many others.

I've not posted anything in several days. I still am shooting amaryllis blooms most every day, but now realize I can do better with my $99 Canon AS2100IS. I've taken shots side by side for comparison.

While really appreciating seeing these shots, these add to my discouraging conclusion that the FZ35 was not the camera for me.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger53 View Post
After having my FZ35 for almost two months, I think I'm ready to repack it in the bag. I see these shots, plus others, shot with FZ35 or FZ40, and I'm blown away. Nothing I'm shooting is like these shots, or many others.

I've not posted anything in several days. I still am shooting amaryllis blooms most every day, but now realize I can do better with my $99 Canon AS2100IS. I've taken shots side by side for comparison.

While really appreciating seeing these shots, these add to my discouraging conclusion that the FZ35 was not the camera for me.
Roger, I really hope you don't get too discouraged. The wonderful shots posted here are by people who learned to use the camera under conditions best suited for this particular camera. I bet that even the best of them would have had trouble shooting your amaryllis (which I think you did a phenomenal job, by the way).
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:11 AM   #13

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Roger,

just two pix from the same Amaryllis, shot yesterday with a FZ40/45 under suboptimal light conditions.

a is ooc, just downscaled, b is PP (sharpened, increased contrast, increased dynamic range with GIMP and G'MIC under Linux)

which pic would you prefer?

Don't give up, the FZs are really good cameras, but need some experiences and in some cases more or less PP to obtain the optimum IQ.

Cheers,

Stefan
Attached Images

StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Thanks for all the kind words, but I shot all these off a Tripod...A Mode setting...Standard Contrast 0...Sharpness +2...Saturation -1...NR -2...Spot Focus Spot Metering...ISO Maxed at 200...these were close shots hence great details the closest was 18ft and the farthest 25-30ft...
Pheew. Glad to hear you used a tripod. Thanks for sharing settings, -1 on saturation is very interesting.

My Flickr

Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote