Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Clint, i so wish now that i had gotten the DSLR that i wanted instead of this FZ38 but being new to photography i thought this would be better - boy was i wrong. I have never been happy with it to be honest but i am stuck with i unfortunately.
RafalW, you are in advance of me. Not used M2 yet nor do i know how to get there.
Read about the yellow bar but couldn't get it so tell me how you got sharp pictures. I really don't like this camera.
E.
eysha - a DSLR will definitely NOT be easier to use than your FZ. All the features and menus are about the same or more complex, plus you have to decide which lens to buy and use.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:34 AM   #12

Thanks Brownie, i cannot give up as it took me a very long time to save up for a camera and i know i cannot afford another one for at least 5 years so i am stuck with it. I think i have just gone off this camera, i really don't like it at all. I canot get M2 to work as RafalW mntions and i have no idea why,it just won't work.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:01 AM   #13

Eysha, you need to get your confidence in basics. I think you are maybe trying to work out how to do too many options at once. Aim to master one technique (eg views of your garden with DOF variants - everything in focus, or isolate a shrub) & avoid trying out everything the camera will do until you are happy with one aspect. Perhaps go back to Sarah's excellent beginner guide & follow that until you can take pictures without referring to it. The you can move on.

You will probably feel better when the weather lets you get out of the house - go for a walk around somewhere that has some variety of subject matter & snap away on P mode, & use the joystick to change MP, focus mode etc just to get used to the feel of it.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:44 AM   #14

Quote:
I canot get M2 to work as RafalW mntions and i have no idea why,it just won't work.
To enable M2 you go to setup (wrench) and you can find the change option on the 3rd tap at the bottom. The diff with M1 is that while manual focusing the enlarged image is not displayed in the middle, but on the whole screen, making it alot easier to see if its sharp.

I learned a lot by searching, but not on searching specific for fz38. Like what is the correct shutter speed, how to get a very shallow field of depth, how to use zoom etc. By doing so and experimenting with the fz38 I start to like it more and more (I also was disappointed a bit at the beginning, not anymore though), for lifting your spirit I would recommend making some macro's, the fz38 is really great at that (It can even focus on the lens itself when using manual focus :P)

Visit my album on Flickr!
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:14 AM   #15

Thanks Brownie, what is (quote) '& use the joystick to change MP, focus mode etc.'
Thanks RafalW, i do the same in the research area. I have made myself a hand written note book of all the basics etc like F-Stop and i add to it as i find more things out. I just couldn't get the camera to do the M2 thing. I take it you recommend M1?
I have to take my glasses off to use the camera so i never know if the photo is sharp or not so the zoom in on the M2 looked good but i cannot get it to work, i know where it is now but...
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:39 AM   #16

Eysha - I am meaning make use of the joystick to access the quick menus (for changing MP, WB, metering mode etc) just to get your thumb accustomed to the feel of it. You press on the JS to bring the menus up on screen, then toggle it up, down, side to side to move around & change settings. I like it now because I can change something mid-shoot without having to scroll through all the menu choices.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:13 AM   #17

Oh i see, i do use the joystick Brownie but it could have been made more userfriendly.

Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:34 AM   #18

Quote:
I have to take my glasses off to use the camera so i never know if the photo is sharp or not ...
E.
You can adjust the viewfinder to match your eyesight. There is a 'knod' on the left hand side of the viewfinder, so go and do it!a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:21 AM   #19

Thanks, did it.

Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:54 AM   #20
csa

" i so wish now that i had gotten the DSLR that i wanted instead of this FZ38 but being new to photography i thought this would be better - boy was i wrong. I have never been happy with it to be honest but i am stuck with i unfortunately."

I really think once you "learn" this camera you will love it. I have just about the same one (FZ40); and am amazed at the capabilities of it. But in order to get away from the "Auto" photo taking, there is a learning curve, which is well worth the time to learn it.
csa is offline   Reply With Quote