Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:25 AM   #1

Default Page 82/83 of the manuel

Hi can anyone please explaine page 82 of the manuel to me please in basic language?

Trying to learn manuel focus on page 83 but having problems focusing, can anyone help on this one please, again in basic language?

Lastly, does anyone use custom settings? If so why and is it good to use?

Took this photo indoor with manuel focus. Too dull and wet to go outside so playing with settings and trying to learn, comments to improve it please. Not macro setting.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:15 AM   #2

E-

The detail and sharpness is all there. When you have very soft lighting, the post processing is what will take care of the soft/dull look.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3

Not sure what you mean Sarah. What soft dull look and what photoproscessing?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Not sure what you mean Sarah. What soft dull look and what photoproscessing?
Using the flash would help brighten it up some.

Use something like Faststone Viewer to "post-process". In other words, fix it up a bit after you take the picture. Picasa and Zoner Photo Studio 13 are some other good freeware programs.

Page 82 and 83 -
the bottom of page 82 talks about the available aperture and shutter speed if you want to use manual focus.

Page 83 tells you how to use the manual focus. When you switch to manual focus I believe you have to use the "joystick" to focus the camera. I used it a few times but it was not very "user friendly" in my opinion. I like "twisting" the barrel of the lens to manual focus. It gives you a more precise control when focusing. I don't think you can twist the barrel of the FZ35 with out damaging the drive mechanism. I found the manual focus to be impractical on the FZ35.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything

Last edited by Clint501; Feb 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:06 PM   #5

Thanks Clint, i agree about the joystick not being user freindly, I have played in Manue mode today and finally got somewhere but a long way to go yet.
What camera are you using to turn the barrel? I thought that was only on DSLR cameras? Can the barrel be turned on the 38?

Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks Clint, i agree about the joystick not being user freindly, I have played in Manue mode today and finally got somewhere but a long way to go yet.
What camera are you using to turn the barrel? I thought that was only on DSLR cameras? Can the barrel be turned on the 38?

You are right - I'm using the Sony A55 and to manual focus you twist the lens barrel.

You can't twist the lens on the FZ35/38 (FZ35 and FZ38 is the same camera) you have to use the joystick to manual focus.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:22 PM   #7

I have also been playing with manual focus a while and found out that sometimes you can focus a bit closer than the automatic focus would do.

Putting it on MF2 helps! (page 84)

Also, I have been making a lot of pictures outside, of people in the dark with flash and the camera had a LOT of trouble finding the focus with the "red light" and after finding it, it was wrong a lot, making the picture blurred. Putting it on manual focus from infinitive to like 2m (making the yellow bar inside the white bar as long as possible) I was able to make sharp pictures and did not waste 3-4 seconds on the camera trying to find the correct focus.

Manual focus in macro actually gets easier after you practice a bit (guess thats logical though :P)

Visit my album on Flickr!
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 3:20 PM   #8

Clint, i so wish now that i had gotten the DSLR that i wanted instead of this FZ38 but being new to photography i thought this would be better - boy was i wrong. I have never been happy with it to be honest but i am stuck with i unfortunately.
RafalW, you are in advance of me. Not used M2 yet nor do i know how to get there.
Read about the yellow bar but couldn't get it so tell me how you got sharp pictures. I really don't like this camera.
E.

Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:32 PM   #9

Posted in error, I apologize.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 20, 2011 at 6:41 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:35 PM   #10

You can always manually focus with your feet! In other words get roughly into focus with the joystick then fine tune by moving towards or away from the subject.

Eysha - do not give up! If you feel you are struggling at the mo with the FZ38 then it is unlikely that as a photography newbie you will pick up a DSLR & find that everything will suddenly fall into place & you will never make another bad picture. I took about 70 pictures of flowers today & have kept less than a dozen - & even those are the best of a bad lot. Photography is like driving - you are asking your brain, eyes, hands & even feet to all act independently in doing something unfamiliar. One day something kind of clicks & everything seems to co-ordinate so much better. I thought the joystick was fiddly at first & then one day it just felt really natural to use it. I think it is just getting the feel of how much pressure to use on it.

Also - photography always seem much easier in the spring & summer when the sun shines, the light is good & your finger ends are not dropping off with cold!