Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:43 PM   #1

Default My first outing with LT-55 (with FZ35)

I received my LT-55 last week but it's been raining. It finally cleared and I made my way to the Arboretum to try it out. Not as good as LTZ, but I'm pleased with it! All are with a tripod, some cropping and resized for posting, #4 and #8 were corrected for exposure using PS Elements. Appreciate your C&C

#1 Red Whiskered Bulbul. He was pretty far away (50 feet?) and I could not get any closer to him because there was a small pond between us. Really pretty bird, so I'm glad it came out OK.

#2 Goose. I was really close (about 6 feet). Looks like he's chewing on a toothpick.

#4 Wood Duck. Very shy, I managed to get within about 15 feet. This one was in the shade so you can't see the true colors.

#5 Better lighting but further away (about 20 feet).

#6 This egret(?) was really far away (200feet?) across a large lake. I wasn't even sure if it was a bird or piece of trash until I looked at the image on my computer. I'm very impressed how well it came out!

#7 Mallard, about 20 feet away

#8 About 15 feet away

#9 Lazy turtles, about 20 feet away

saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:06 PM   #2

Absolutely gorgeous series of photos - the clarity is fantastic. The little wood duck is brill, love him and the turtles. Keep snapping.
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:29 PM   #3

Saly,

These are simply stunning! I think you just pushed me over the edge into getting the FZ-35. I've been on the fence because I really like the feature set of the Sony's HX series, but I just can't say no the FZ-35 if it produces shots like these in the hands of a skilled photographer such as yourself.

Thanks for sharing!

Gary <><
locoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:19 PM   #4

Thank you Dyane and loco!

Locoduck - please note that I'm using an LT-55 teleconverter lens (another $100 to $180). FZ35 alone will not have this reach (close, though!). If you are considering an FZ, you want to also look into the FZ40 or FZ100. They are newer, and people here are posting impressive photos using them. Of course, the FZ35 is really cheap right now!!!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:29 PM   #5

Well done Saly...very beautiful well detailed shots...looks like you have owned an LC55 for years! the Wood Ducks are my favorite, even the water around the Wood Duck seems to be a silver/green mirror...beautiful shot!

Last edited by LTZ470; Feb 22, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:31 PM   #6

Hi Saly - do you have any more shots using the telecon. I am thinking about it for my FA45, and after seeing your fab photos I am well impressed. Did you use a tripod or were the shots hand held. Does the camera seem much heavier with the telecon?? Thanks - Dyane
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:35 PM   #7

LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyaneG View Post
Hi Saly - do you have any more shots using the telecon. I am thinking about it for my FA45, and after seeing your fab photos I am well impressed. Did you use a tripod or were the shots hand held. Does the camera seem much heavier with the telecon?? Thanks - Dyane
Dyane, as you can see in LTZ's post, it makes the camera pretty big, but it's really not heavy at all. You do need a tripod for best results. I will post a few more shots in another thread tomorrow - I'm limited to 12 attachments per thread.....so I have to start a new one!!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Well done Saly...very beautiful well detailed shots...looks like you have owned an LC55 for years! the Wood Ducks are my favorite, even the water around the Wood Duck seems to be a silver/green mirror...beautiful shot!
Thank you LTZ! I also think wood ducks are absolutely stunning birds, it's just really hard to get close to them, and get them in the right lighting!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:16 AM   #10

Thanks guys, you are both STARS - LTZ goodness me that is some impressive equipment you have there haaaa!!! Yes, a tripod is needed, just as well I bought one in the end. Thanks once again for the info, and looking forward to your shots Saly - have a good one - Dyane