Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:54 PM   #1

Default Looking to upgrade

Well the old FZ18 finally gave up on me. Now looking for a new camera.

Looking for any input. Likes/dislikes. Pros/cons
FZ35, 40, 100 any thoughts? Or other ideas.

I really liked the FZ18. But don't really know anything good or bad about the newer cameras.

Thanks
stumprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2

Welcome, Stumprat-

We're delighted that you dropped by. We're a friendly, helpful group and we hope that you will make your self comfortable. Substantial changes took place in the FZ-series cameras with the introduction of the FZ-28, which is no longer available, and the FZ35/38 which is now selling at close out prices, such as $220 at Amazon.

So this is really a good time to up grade from your now "put down" FZ-18.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:19 AM   #3

Thanks for the welcome.

Have most of the changes in the newer models been for the better?
I know through trial and error that newer doesn't always mean better.

Any comparisons of these newer models would be great.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:19 AM   #4

stumprat - Judging from all the posts in this forum (and there are plenty), I think you will be happy with any one of these 3 FZ models. I really haven't heard any negatives on any of them. Just keep in mind, FZ and all other cameras of this class (small sensor) won't perform great in low light situations, but will do just fine most of the time.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:07 AM   #5

When I was looking into my new camera. I also looked into those 3 cameras, and I ended up getting the 100. The 100 fitted my needs perfectly. It has plenty of zoom 24X, has a lot of features to customize for your personal shooting needs, can take bursts pictures (up to 60 fps at 3mp), and the biggest selling point was the swivel LCD screen. These where the selling points for me. I have had this camera for a couple of months now, and absolutely love using it.
Da Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:14 PM   #6

After pouring through tons of information. The FZ100 is not what I am after. Size is an important factor for me. And after using the FZ18 for a number of years. I really don't need something with a 24X zoom.

So at this point I am down to the FZ35, or FZ40. What I really need now is some real world observations. If any of you have owned both cameras. It would be great to hear how they compared.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:45 PM   #7

Hi Stemprat and welcome to the forum. As you are aware everyone here is really friendly and helpful, and you do get answers to your questions.

I had an FZ35 for around a year and absolutely loved it. It is a great camera that gives excellent results. It is light enough to carry round and performs well in all circumstances, especially macro, but as mentioned about - not so well in low light ..... but there are ways round this of course.

When looking for another camera at the end of last year I weighed up the FZ38 against the FZ40/45 and the FZ100. I decided not to go for another FZ38 as the FZ45 is the next update on from the 38 with slightly more MP's and the 24x zoom. It also won out in price against the more expensive FZ100. Already I love the camera and it is a super performer, you get great results and again, it is nice and light to carry round.

Hope this helps - Dyane
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumprat View Post
After pouring through tons of information. The FZ100 is not what I am after. Size is an important factor for me. And after using the FZ18 for a number of years. I really don't need something with a 24X zoom.

So at this point I am down to the FZ35, or FZ40. What I really need now is some real world observations. If any of you have owned both cameras. It would be great to hear how they compared.
But I think FZ100 and fZ40 are virtually the same size, and both are 24x. the FZ35 is just slightly smaller than the FZ100 (about .25" on each side), and is 18x.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:52 PM   #9

Yip you are right, they are virtually identical, same features etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
But I think FZ100 and fZ40 are virtually the same size, and both are 24x. the FZ35 is just slightly smaller than the FZ100 (about .25" on each side), and is 18x.
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:55 PM   #10

Greetings Stumprat
I owned both the FZ35 and FZ40. Overall I got better pictures with the FZ35. The FZ40 has better zoom but it also packs more pixels into the sensor. I got good pictures from both but I had to work a bit harder with the FZ40. The FZ35 uses third party batteries (cheaper) and the FZ49 uses "chipped" (proprietary - more expensive) batteries. Right now the FZ35 is a great bargain. I place the FZ35 coming in first and the FZ40 a close second.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote