Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:24 AM   #1

Default FZ10 & Uzi shots for comparison

Here are some shots taken with the FZ10 and the Uzi for comparison. Quite a few people seem to have viewed them but no one comments. I will post some of the same scene taken with both cameras in the fairly near future.
See http://www.e-photoworks.com/albinato...67&dowhat=user

parallel
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2004, 2:36 PM   #2

All the photos are wounderful in their own way.
I'm never ceased to be amazed at how well the UZI does for such an older technology.

I'm a little dissapointed by some of the landscape shots (eg, Glendale Park) taken with the FZ10.
Mainly, the blurred detail in the background (which is partly why I thought one would want more
megapixels). (I think the problem with Glendale Park is that it is not clear what the subject is
so the aperature should have been set to landscape (ie,wide DOF). Also, the FZ10 outdoor shots
show more CA.

The lesson I come away with from these photos is pretty much what I knew/suspected all along.
Mainly :
- That most digital cameras can take great photos when the the light is right.
- Taking good photos consistently is a skill - some people do better depending on talent,
practise, motivation, quality of camera chosen, etc. (For example, given that CA may be
an issue due to harsh/contrasty lighting, then try to throttle the EV setting & maybe make
the correction(s) in PS.
- What I found that separates the men from the boys cameras is the ability to handle crappy
lighting conditions. The fact of the matter is that all these cameras have flashes that begin to
become non-effective beyond 10' (especially beyond 13'). So when your at a social function
(like a wedding or large party - indoor or outdoor under cover) trying to photograph using the
big zoom ensures the subject is out of flash range. In addition, there are many circumstances
where it may be undesirable or prohibited to use flash such as inside night clubs & churches.
These are the conditions I encounter most frequently. An interesting inverse is trying to shoot macros. This
is the case where the flash usually is a problem (causes glare or creates shadows). So the ability
to shoot a macro using just the available ambient light which is more even is very important (at least to me).

In the final analysis, I really love my UZI & will sure miss it when someday it dies. I believe that I could live with
FZ10, but from everything so far I've seen & studied about it, it's a harder camera to use when trying to attain good results (ie, more thought has to go into composing the shot & camera settings when lighting is difficult).
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 3:50 PM   #3

sdromel,
Quote:
I'm a little dissapointed by some of the landscape shots (eg, Glendale Park) taken with the FZ10.
Mainly, the blurred detail in the background (which is partly why I thought one would want more
megapixels). (I think the problem with Glendale Park is that it is not clear what the subject is
so the aperature should have been set to landscape (ie,wide DOF). Also, the FZ10 outdoor shots
show more CA.
You may have just been looking at the view you get after clicking on the thumb. This is only 119k and the shot of Glendale Park is busy enough that that small file won’t handle it. You have to click on the line above that says “full size” to get the 1.65meg image.
As the shot was at 1/125 and F5.6 I would expect the whole field to be reasonably in focus. None of it is quite a sharp as I would like, but it prints out well enough on an 8 x 10.
You can see some CA in the branches at full size, but not in the print. The more contrasty snow scene shows a lot more. I actually took a shot of that scene 30 minutes later with the Uzi also and the CA is slightly worse.

It looks like Panatools solves the CA problem but is a quite an imposition to do and apply to each shot. Rather to my surprise, stopping down doesn’t do as much to reduce CA as I had expected.

I’m with you that subject and composition is much more important that the last gnat’s whisker of resolution and low noise. So I have consciously chosen that compromise for convenience and find I take a LOT more photos this way.

External flash is very difficult with the FZ10. BUT it does have a hot shoe and using an old Olympus T32 (+zoom extender) I can go out as far as 80 feet if I try. The shot of Shelley with charmadon was taken at about 30 feet. I find I get a lot more shots that are out of focus with the FZ10 than the Uzi even though I get confirmation from the camera that the focus is good.

Thank you for commenting. It is useful to get feedback.

parallel
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote