Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:12 AM   #1

Default Image Stabalizer Lens?

I have been reading about an Image Stabalizer Lens recently, not sure if i can get one for the FZ38, and wonder what others thing?
I cannot find any info on Image Stabalizing in the manual so any help would be great as i am a bit shakey when taking photos, so anything that reduces that would help. For Hand held use only not with tripod.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:19 AM   #2

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Eysha,

image stabilizer lens means not a special lens you could add to your camera to stabilizing the image.

There are two different techniques to stabilize the image in digital cameras:

1: Image stabilizing in the the lenses, by correcting movement of the lenses.

2. Image stabilizing by the sensor, by correcting movement of the sensor.

The Panasonic FZ cameras are stabilizing the image with stabilizers in the lenses, which results also in a stabilzed image in the viewfinder.

Stabilizing by the sensor didn't give a stabilized image in the viewfinder.

I hope, this would be helpful for you.

Cheers,

Stefan
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:48 AM   #3

Thanks StefanS, I read that you can buy a lens to help stabalize the imge. I was wondering about buying one for the FZ38/35.
I cannot find any info in the manuel about the IS. I thought it was the little hand 1 and 2 but not sure how they work or help.
Being new i am lost regarding your reply - sorry.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:02 AM   #4

Hi Eyesha
I wonder if you are getting confused with DSLR systems. With these, image stabilisation can be a feature of the camera (body) - as it is with my Pentax K100D - or you can buy lenses which have image stabilisation in the actual lens. These would not fit onto a bridge camera (with integral lens) like the FZ38 as they are built to fit specific makes of DSLR.

The image stabilisation on the FZ38 has OFF plus two modes.
General advice is to switch it OFF if using a tripod (as you would with a DSLR)
Mode 1 - the stabiliser runs continuous but is less effective
Mode 2 - the stabiliser kicks in when you press the shutter. This is supposed to be the most effective at reducing shake.

I shake quite a bit using zoom or trying close-up shots & am waiting for some decent light to get outside with a tripod. I am very envious of those with rock steady hands!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:06 AM   #5

Thanks Brownie, you could be right because i have been reading DSLR info. I will use the mode 2. Thanks.

Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:36 AM   #6

There is also auto mode, how does that work?

Visit my album on Flickr!
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:49 AM   #7

Brownie is correct Eysha - for the most part I always left the FZ on Mode 2. Auto mode will focus all the time - the lens going in and out where ever you point it. To me that was a lot of "focusing" and moving parts that wasn't necessary.

The FZ35 has no interchangeable lens like the DSLR cameras. You can't remove it and replace with another lens that stabilization built into the lens itself. I have one for my Sony A55 but it's a $500 lens.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:10 AM   #8

Thanks Clint, as you may have guessed i am reading a lot and trying to learn a lot. I now have mine on Mode 2. Weather here still not for outdoors so practising settings indoors, lol. It is just playing and learing the settings mainly.

Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
I cannot find any info in the manuel about the IS. I thought it was the little hand 1 and 2 but not sure how they work or help.
Being new i am lost regarding your reply - sorry.
Hi Eysha,

Assuming you have a copy of the manual stored on your computer, do a search for the word "stabilizer" and it will take you to the pages that reference the stabilizer feature.

Also, don't let the fact that the weather isn't great dissuade you from using your camera. Where I live it's been a long snowy winter with 20 to 30 below Fahrenheit temps a lot, so I've been taking photos indoors, using whats at hand to try new settings and improve my skills. It's not ideal, I'd rather be outdoors taking pics, but my cat Buddy will tell you he's become quite the little model.

Laurie

Last edited by laurel99; Feb 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:42 AM   #10

Yes, i keep a copy on my computer to refer to a lot but sometimes get lost in the jargon. I too do a lot of indoor work as i said earlier and my dog is mainly the subject. Raining too much for the camera outside at the moment. I use mode2 as Clint does.