Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:28 PM   #1

Default FZ35 - a couple of deer

Nothing special here. We had 10 deer in the backyard today, some coming for corn. The herd included three buck, and when the buck are around, the doe are not allowed to reach the corn supply.

One of the doe is pretty tame, and somebody I will be able to get a shot of her alone. But, today, the only shots available were the buck.

These were shot on P mode, some with contrast +2. However, I did add some "shadow" in Picasa PP. Certainly not sharp images like I see here with other uses of the FZ35. I had no opportunity to reconfigure with a tripod -- need to take the shots quickly when available.

Two sets, first a larger buck, with full rack. The second set, with some evidence of battle scars on his rack.
Attached Images

roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:29 PM   #2

Second set of a different buck.
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:32 PM   #3

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Very nice shots, I want to have such a backyard ;-)

Where do you come from?

It seems to me, that the shots are a little bit out of focus, but it doesn't matter.

Cheers,

Stefan
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:39 PM   #4

Great photo's

I had the pleasure to see wild deer walking around looking for food in residential areas of Victoria, BC. You really do need to be quick and quiet to capture some photo's..... well done with the quality of your photo's
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:59 PM   #5

Nothing special ........ 10 deer in the back garden, I'd call that pretty special. You lucky thing. My fave is the 2nd to last one.
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 8:00 PM   #6

Very nice visitors! The images do look a little soft, but probably due to limited light, or did you zoom a long way? They are not bad at all, though.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:31 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. When I shot the images, I was not intending to do anything with them, hence "nothing special."

I agree with the lack of sharpness. But, this has now become a common theme for my images. I did some tests earlier today with the Sharpness and Contrast settings. I only did the shots, attempting to gain a better understanding of the effect. I did use a Sharpness setting on some of the amaryllis shots earlier, but saw no difference. Just for reference, I have done most shooting at 8MP.

In my tests earlier today, I saw no difference either. I made shots at 0, +2, -2, and saw no discernible difference. I was not really pleased with the sharpness of the test shots either.

As I said in another post, I made comparable shots with my $99.00 Canon AS1100, and found no difference, perhaps the Canon doing a better job. I am wondering if I have a setting wrong, something that is overriding my other settings.

Just for reference, I did find differences in the Contrast, shots at 0, +2, -2. No question about the differences. That assured me that those settings were effective.

Somebody made a comment about lighting. Yes, late this afternoon, the clouds were pretty heavy. The skies were very dull. I did have some deer out when the sun was out a couple of days ago, but they were gone before I return inside to get the camera (always keep it handy, ready to go). I'm hopeful that I will get some other opportunities with a single doe. Answering a question posed above, most (probably all?) were 18X on the zoom.

Does anybody have another suggestion for some testing regarding sharpness? We may have some sunny days ahead ... wishful thinking? To answer the location question, I am in SW Pennsylvania.

Thanks.

Last edited by roger53; Feb 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 1:06 AM   #8

Roger, a camera such as the FZ with a small sensor really suffers in limited light condition. That is further aggravated when you zoom a long way. So, considering all that, your deer shots are actually excellent! You have probably pushed it it's limit.

If the weather is poor right now, I recommend waiting for a sunny day and try shooting subjects close, where you don't need to zoom more than 5x or so. If your shots come out good, then your camera settings and your technique are fine.

Last edited by saly; Feb 27, 2011 at 1:13 AM.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:39 AM   #9

I really like the last shot the composition is very good as said above it would be nice if they were more crisp but they are still great ones
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:57 PM   #10

Roger53,

Cloudy day, big zoom and deer = tough shot. I have taken many pictures of the deer that live around me (posted a few a couple weeks ago if you want to check out). Couple of suggestions would be to:

Back off the zoom some. I think it should give you more light in the lens. Give yourself some room around the subject. You can crop the picture later for better balance. Most of the ones I take I concentrate on the deer's head.

Try spot focus. Focus on a point between dark and light such as between the eye and the fur or the nose and the fur.

Use the view finder and not the screen. I find I can hold the camera steadier if I brace it against my head.

Squeeze that shutter…. Very easy to give the camera slight movement if pressed quickly.

Hope this helps.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote