Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:09 PM   #1

Default THinking of a TCON14

considering getting a tcon14 and was wondering, do i need anything else for it to pop on to my fz38? and does anyone else use the same set up? would love an LT55 but my pocket just doesnt go that deep
no-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:57 PM   #2

You will need the DMW LA3 extension (adapter) ring. Also want to point out that the Tcon 14 gives you 1.4x zoom compared to the 1.7x zoom of an LT-55. I found a "like new" LT55 for nearly half the price of a new one, you may get lucky if you keep looking?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 3:59 PM   #3

You need to buy an lens adaptor, Panasonic DMW LA3E, do some "googleing" for best price.

The TCON14 then screws onto the Adaptor.

You may need a filter step-up/ step-down ring to fit the TC14 to the LA3.
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:13 PM   #4

Square one is right - I just checked on line and looks like the Olympus Tcon14 has a 62mm rear thread, and the DMWLA3 is a 55mm, so you will need a step-up adapter ring (they are usually pretty cheap).
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Square one is right - I just checked on line and looks like the Olympus Tcon14 has a 62mm rear thread, and the DMWLA3 is a 55mm, so you will need a step-up adapter ring (they are usually pretty cheap).

oh. description says it has a 46mm thread with 43mm-46mm step up ring included. now im real confused! its on ebay for 20, and LT55 seems to be over 100
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:58 PM   #6

you could buy the tc-15ed theres 1 on ebay now
you would need a 55mm-50mm step or you could shorten it like i did with mine and poxy resin a 37mm-55mm on so it fits directly to adapter tube,theres plenty info around for this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-Tele-pho...94346917458479
from this

IMG_0425 by ste.ste.ste, on Flickr
to this

IMG_0438 by ste.ste.ste, on Flickr
full pics through process here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5882624...7626024540182/

Last edited by stesteste; Feb 27, 2011 at 5:02 PM.
stesteste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-ice View Post
oh. description says it has a 46mm thread with 43mm-46mm step up ring included. now im real confused! its on ebay for 20, and LT55 seems to be over 100
OK, that must be a different Tcon14, what is the exact part number you are looking at?

If it is 46mm, that would be the size of the internal lens of the FZ, not the external barrel. If I'm not mistaken, it is not recommended to screw in anything to the internal lens because the zoom and focus motor cannot handle the extra weight. You may burn out the motor.

Before you buy this converter, I suggest you check online the different Tcon14 model that Olympus makes, and find out the diameter. The one you want should be a 55mm, which screws in to the LA3 extension tube.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
OK, that must be a different Tcon14, what is the exact part number you are looking at?

If it is 46mm, that would be the size of the internal lens of the FZ, not the external barrel. If I'm not mistaken, it is not recommended to screw in anything to the internal lens because the zoom and focus motor cannot handle the extra weight. You may burn out the motor.

Before you buy this converter, I suggest you check online the different Tcon14 model that Olympus makes, and find out the diameter. The one you want should be a 55mm, which screws in to the LA3 extension tube.
thanks. glad i asked and didnt just rush in