Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:18 PM   #1

Default Smaller pic

As many of you know, I currently own a FZ-100 which can take up 14mp pictures. While doing research on this camera, I heard many people say that the IQ is not so good on these types of cameras cause they are trying to squeeze more and more MPs on a smaller and smaller sensor. My question is, if I reduce my MP from 14 to 10 do y'all think I will get better IQ (from less MPs on a such a small sensor)? I will never need a 14mp picture size. So, IQ is more important that MPs in my situation. Just curious on your thoughts on this.
Da Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:25 PM   #2

It's my understanding reducing the size will not increase IQ because it only uses a smaller portion of the sensor when reduced.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:07 PM   #3

da wolf-

I run my FZ40 at 10.5mp and am pleased with the results.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:46 PM   #4

I think I may have misunderstood your question.

If you leave the format the same i.e. - 4:3 or 3:2 or 16:9 etc. Reducing the amount of MPs would give you less information and less detail.

If you use a "smaller" picture format - going from 3:2 to 16:9 that just uses a different portion of the sensor.

There is more to IQ than just the amount of pixels - there is light, movement, DOF, composition etc.
Also how are you going to view the final picture - web picture, 4x6 print, 8x10 glossy, 28 inch HD monitor? That has a lot to do with the way a picture looks.

Since you are using the FZ100 just lowering the amount of the information probably won't get you a noticeably "better" picture.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:51 PM   #5

Wolf - I think Clint is correct that going to a smaller mp will not improve your image quality.

I also hear that a human eye really can't see the difference between a 10mp and 14mp (unless you are enlarging for a large print), so keeping it at 10mp would save your disk space. I like to shoot at maximum mp and archive them. I reduce the size for posting and emailing, but like to print at the larger size.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:23 PM   #6

Thanks for all the useful information. I was thinking that if I reduce the image size from 14 to 10, that it would be less picture information going to the sensor (fewer pixels) and there for would equal a little bit higher IQ. But seeing that we can't really see a difference between a 10 or a 14 mp picture unless it is blown up, it kind of defeats the purpose of shooting in 14mp when you don't need to. That question was just more out of curiosity and information sake for me than anything else. My current setting is a 10.5mp picture in a 16X9 format. I like the little bit of extra space the 16X9 gives me over the 4X3 format.
Da Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:42 PM   #7

I think the first answer Clint501 gave is the correct answer to your question, dropping down the number of pixels you use of the sensor can't give you a better image than the sensor is capable of (pixel density).

An extreme example of this is dropping to 3mp, can only capture (approx) 1/5 the amount of detail, because it is using 1/5 of the total sensor pixels.

The confusion comes from the pixel density of the sensor, fz35/38 = 10mp fz40/45 = 14mp. The sensor in both cases is physically the same size, and unfortunately it seems that above about 10mp, picture quality drops due to noise.
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:59 PM   #8

However, reducing the PIXes in PS seems to make the result a bit crisper. For example, reducing a 1024 x 768 to 512 x 384 seems to improve the look. The understanding is that the best effect is achieved using an integer that divides into the PIX size exactly. (As in the case above, 1024 x 768 is exactly divisible by 2.) Try it and see for yourself.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote