Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:27 PM   #1

Default Flash Experiments

As many of you already know, I like using flash because it is quick, consistent, and dependable. I had a few minutes to experiment tonight, while dinner was in the oven, trying to get the most even flash lighting that could accommodate even at a wide angle setting, and not have that harsh flash look to it.

While cleaning out the other day, I came across my Gary Fong "Light Sphere" that I used to use when doing wedding photography. Well, as you might guess, my mental wheels began to spin.

I knew that the slave flashes (the only external flashes that will work with the FZ35/38 and FZ40/25 cameras) that the external flash units I had on hand were not powerful enough to light a whole room area. In the old days I used to use the equivalent of today's Canon E580 flash. So, I reduced the scale of everything. I used my Canon S5 (a 12X super zoom from 2005 that does indeed have a hot shoe and can mount the Canon EX-420 flash. That had to do for the short time span that I had to use.

So here is the first photo I took at the wide angle position. Bradley (my husband) and I were in our great room, so I had 16 feet between the camera and Bradley.

I was pleased with the evenness of the lighting and that it did not have that characteristic flash look to it.

Next keeping my same position, I zoomed in on Bradley's face to see if the lighting was good enough for an isolated head shot as well. Here is how that photo looked:

So in the 20 minutes that I had while dinner finished, I was pleased with the results. Tomorrow I will work on getting the same results from my FZ40 using a Y-N 560 for flash power.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 1, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:03 AM   #2

Beautiful Vase you have.

It is good you have such a willing model.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:28 AM   #3

Thanks for your post Lisa-

Yes, I am very lucky indeed. Bradley my husband of 53 years is very co-operative, and never complains about being my subject ever. In fact, a lot of folks on the Forum are used to seeing photos of Bradley.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:16 PM   #4

Your mental wheels are obviously working for you Sarah, they have come out great and dont look at all harsh or blown out ........ of course it helps having such a fantastic model. Say Hi to Bradley from me - Dyane
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:54 PM   #5

Hi Dyane-

Bradley and I appreciate your post. Bradley also sends along his "hello" as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:03 PM   #6

Sarah, can you clarify what you did here? Were these shot with a light sphere or just a Canon S5 and EX-420 flash?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:07 PM   #7

Sarah I have an old underwater slave flash that I should get out and play with.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
Sarah I have an old underwater slave flash that I should get out and play with.

jj
jj, you posted somewhere else that you dive. Me too, I still use a Nikonos V.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:17 PM   #9

Hi Sarah, as always good photo's and an explanation of how and why, so we can learn from you.

In your experience, is the built-in flash of the fz40/45 powerful enough to be forced into bounce mode for your size living room?
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:58 PM   #10

saly-

The posted photos above were taken with the S5+the EX420 flash+the Light Sphere, used to spread the light around the room.

Square one-

No, I do not think that the FZ40's built-in flash unit is powerful enough to use for bounce lighting. I have tried it and alway have ended up with wildly under exposed photos.

Sarah Joyce