Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Ah yes, I see - the white petals have no detail? I need to work on better exposure.

Is this one better? Can you tell me how I could improve? Thanks!!

I don't know what your camera settings were but I suspect P or Auto with AutoWB selected. This guy has a pretty good explanation. http://www.betterphoto.com/article.asp?id=57

This photo, almost the entire right 1/3 of the bloom is blown out. You can *probably* retrieve *some* of it with some light burning in PS.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I don't know what your camera settings were but I suspect P or Auto with AutoWB selected. This guy has a pretty good explanation. http://www.betterphoto.com/article.asp?id=57

This photo, almost the entire right 1/3 of the bloom is blown out. You can *probably* retrieve *some* of it with some light burning in PS.
Very interesting article (shows you how newbie I am at photography)! If I read it correctly, the only way to deal with situations like this is to underexpose, then PP to fix the rest of the image? I think I'm just going to stay away from white subjects for a while...
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:03 PM   #13

The best way to avoid blown highlights is to look over the scene you are photographing and locate the brightest part of it. This is the part you want to meter. The meter will tell you the exposure settings to place that tone at neutral grey, so you will have to bump the exposure up a a stop or two to place it at the brightness you want it at. Bumping the exposure up can be done by either manually adjusting the aperture or shutter speed, or by setting the exposure compensation up. Also, the brightest part of the scene should not be a light source -- light sources will likely always be blown out, consider them to be infinitely bright and meter the brightest object that is reflecting (not emitting) light.

I would HIGHLY suggest you pick up a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, too.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
The best way to avoid blown highlights is to look over the scene you are photographing and locate the brightest part of it. This is the part you want to meter. The meter will tell you the exposure settings to place that tone at neutral grey, so you will have to bump the exposure up a a stop or two to place it at the brightness you want it at. Bumping the exposure up can be done by either manually adjusting the aperture or shutter speed, or by setting the exposure compensation up. Also, the brightest part of the scene should not be a light source -- light sources will likely always be blown out, consider them to be infinitely bright and meter the brightest object that is reflecting (not emitting) light.

I would HIGHLY suggest you pick up a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, too.
I actually own that book. I need to read through it carefully... Thanks, this has been very helpful.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:50 PM   #15

nice I really like the first pic
Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:00 AM   #16

Very good series, difficult to decide which is my favorite, but if I had to decide, I guess # 5

Panasonic FZ45
Stef72 is offline   Reply With Quote