Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:55 PM   #1

Default Flash Experiments #2

Well, I was just working on the equipment for tonight's flash testing. As I could not get the Y-N 560 to consistently fire with my FZ40 in the Slave position, I am going to make some changes.

Tonight I will use my FZ40+the DigiSlave 3000 flash+ the Lumaquest Bounce hood and a Sunpak accessory mount that gets the flash as far away from the camera's lens as possible. Here is a photo that shows that actual set-up all put together.

Well, unfortunately when I did the test, the flash photos were underexposed and bordering on being grainy as you can see from the next attached photo.

Well, that's it for tonight. before I close though, I wanted to show you what the setup we used in the first Flash Experiment looked like. Last night's text description was confusing. We began with the Canon S5 camera, to that we added the canon EX420 external flash to the S5's hot shoe, and to complete that set up, we added Gary Fong's "Light Shere." The next attached photo shows that set-up.

In Flash Experiment #3 we will try to get the FZ40 working with the Y-N 560 flash. I hope this is not too boring.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:54 PM   #2

Wow, that's some set up Sarah. Clearly not just a point and shoot!!
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:28 PM   #3

Thanks, Bansky-

It do take some equipment to get the flash to cover a very wide area at a distance of about 20 feet. But getting rid of the "Flash Photo Look" makes it worth it.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:50 AM   #4

Personally I think the stofen omnibounce is the best combination of size/effectiveness for flash photography. You keep the flash at 45 degrees whether you're bouncing or not and it's not obnoxiously large. While these shots are taken with a DSLR (so overall image quality will be better than the panasonic), the quality of the flash output/light will be similar - which is the topic at hand:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Personally I think the stofen omnibounce is the best combination of size/effectiveness for flash photography. You keep the flash at 45 degrees whether you're bouncing or not and it's not obnoxiously large. While these shots are taken with a DSLR (so overall image quality will be better than the panasonic), the quality of the flash output/light will be similar - which is the topic at hand:
After LOADS of experimentation with tons of stuff, I have to agree. While I like the results of the Lambency light diffuser (similar to the Fong Lightsphere), it's a royal PITA to carry around. But, for all around great diffusion and portability, the Sto-fen works very well for me. I've also made my own from one of those white, bubble-wrap-type shipping envelopes. I think it's even better than the Sto-fen as the light it provides is excellent and I can put it in my pocket when not in use.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:20 AM   #6

Hi Gary and JohnG-

I agree with the Stoffen and DIY approach as it does contain the set-up a great deal without taking up much space.

However, as a "house bound" photographer, being a 24/7 care giver to a severely disabled husband, being able to experiment does help the time pass by.

Sarah Joyce