Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:58 PM   #1

Default FZ35 arrived today - might have a dead pixel

I was pleasantly surprised to have the FZ35 show up today. Amazon said it should have been here tomorrow. Anywho, I popped the battery in right after taking it out of the box to see if it had enough charge to play with it for a few minutes. It did so I started playing. It didn't take me long to notice a tiny red dot in the LCD screen. It is noticeable when navigating the black menus, but isn't when viewing the actual screen. The dot appears to be on the left edge of that little white box at the top of the screen that says what megapixel setting it is on. Once the white box shows up it isn't noticeable. Is it a dead pixel? Has anyone here got an FZ35/38 with a dead pixel? If you had a dead pixel would you return it? I'm not sure I would do that just yet, as I don't really want to go through that hassle. It's not affecting the pictures any. Is there anything that can be done to bring a dead pixel back to life? I know sometimes a computer monitor can have a dead pixel brought back, but I'm wondering if it can be done on a camera.

I will post some pictures when I get more accustomed to the settings and there is actually something to take a picture of. Being winter everything is dead and brown with some white thrown in for good measure. I've taken a few test shots, but I'm not even going to waste the bandwidth as they aren't that good.

So far I am loving the camera. The menus are super easy to navigate. Everything seems to be logically laid out. It didn't take long at all (a few minutes) for me to get use to navigating the menus and changing settings. The big issue now is figuring out what those settings do.
JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2011, 7:52 PM   #2

If it's only on the LCD and not your image (sensor), then I guess you could live with it. But at the same time you want a brand new product to be perfect! Amazon is very good about exchanges, so I think I may exchange it if I were you. Make sure to go through them and not Panasonic (there was a nightmare post on this forum not too long ago about trying the exchange through Panasonic).

I've heard about people trying to fix a computer monitor by applying pressure or tapping lightly over the affected area. But I would be scared to try these...
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:29 PM   #3

I was looking through the advanced user manual for the camera and come across two places where it mentioned this issue. If you have the advanced manual it is on page 197 and 209. I'll type what it says.

Page 197:

Extremely high precision technology is employed to produce the LCD monitor/Viewfinder screen. However there may be some dark or bright spots (red, blue or green) on the screen. This is not a malfunction. The LCD monitor/Viewfinder screen has more than 99.99% effective pixels with a mere 0.01% of the pixels inactive or always lit. The spots will not be recorded on pictures on the built-in memory or on a card.

Page 209:

Black, red, blue, and green dots appear on the LCD monitor

This is not a malfunction. These pixels do not affect the recorded pictures.

Is Panasonic correct in saying it isn't a malfunction? I wish it wasn't red. If the pixel was dead instead of just stuck I may not have ever noticed it. A black pixel indicates a dead pixel, or so I read. I've been reading up on this. Some software solutions for stuck pixels generate many colors really fast. Here is a link to see what I mean.

http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

I wish there was a video I could download onto the camera and play it in hopes it could help. I also tried to do one of the touch methods, but I don't think it will work since the LCD screen has the plastic cover on it. When you push on it, it doesn't seem to show anything like when you touch an LCD screen.

Last edited by JayC_783; Mar 3, 2011 at 9:46 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:32 PM   #4

jay-

It sounds like the problem is isolated to the LCD screen. That being the case, you are home free. Cross check the EVF and see if the same area has that same red pixel. If it does not, not to worry as long as an image check also reveals no hot pixel.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:10 AM   #5

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:08 AM   #6

That shirt is awesome!

I didn't notice anything on the EVF. The stuck pixel is only on the LCD screen. I read that sometimes a stuck pixel may eventually unstick. A dead pixel (black dot) is unlikely to ever unstick itself.

Would any of you return an otherwise excellent functioning camera for exchange over one minuscule red dot?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:16 AM   #7

I have "unstuck" a few pixels by tapping on the LCD area affected with a pencil eraser. However , it was not an FZ35 but laptop screens. I suppose the same principle would work on a smaller LCD screen as opposed to a 12 to 16 inch LCD.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 11:45 AM   #8

jay-

If you can positively determine that the dead pixel is on the LCD screen, in my opinion, it would not matter to me as I knew that the issue would not in any way have any negative effect on my photos.

Instead, I would get out there shooting and enjoying my camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 2:21 PM   #9

Yes, I would return it. I got both my FZ38 & 45 via Amazon and both arrived safe and sound etc etc. If I had of had any problems like that I would have sent the camera back. As previously mentioned in this post, Amazon are really excellent on returns and they will send you a replacement straight away as they want you to be 100 percent happy with their service and the products sold via them.
DyaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 6:11 PM   #10

Well, I have a replacement on the way. I just finished boxing up my current FZ35. I don't know why they have to box these things the way they do. It's like you need an engineering degree just to get it boxed again.

I did manage a few pictures with it and once I determine which ones I should post I will post them. I didn't really play with it all that much, but with things as dreary as they are there isn't much to take pictures of anyway.