Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:47 PM   #1

Default New FZ35 - questions.....

-I got my new camera and have taken a lot of pictures already. I am not real happy with some of the exposures. I took some pictures in the iauto and some in the P mode. I did set the camera up with the recommended setting from the beginners guide. They just seem very dark.

-The download software is not as good as my old camera (Canon) which would automatically download only the new pictures to a folder with the correct date they were taken. Is there any way to do this or do I have to unload the whole camera into one date each time? I usually leave the pictures on the camera until I also download them to our 'backup' computer.

- Could I get some advice on converting the pictures so I can upload them to here? Mine are way too big.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Debi
dansmail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:44 PM   #2

I got a new FZ35 about two months ago. I was not happy with my first images either. I've seen improvements, but am still not as pleased as I would like. I'm willing to give myself a lot more time for improvement in understanding the camera. Also, I've not had much in the way of good outdoor lighting during these Winter months. Do a search on my name, and you will see some of my images, and concerns.

I find it interesting that you have the same experiences in offloading images as I had early. I initially downloaded the Panasonic software, then changed computers. I had much trouble, and ended up with taking out the SD card, putting it in my old camera, and using software for that camera. I presume you have a PC, not a Mac.

When changing my PC to a newer model, I found the camera to be recognized as a mass storage device. It shows us as am M: drive. The drive has three folders, one of which is DCIM. Inside that folder are sequential folders, starting with XXXX100, XXXX101, etc. Each folder is started how your camera is setup (mine is with a new date). Or, you can reset the folder number (e.g. increment) manually. For example, if shooting three different subjects on a given day, shoot the first, then go to the camera menu for "reset number" and the next shots will be in a new folder. After the second shoot, do likewise when ready to start the third set of pictures.

When you have the camera connected, and opened as a mass storage device, and you can address each folder, you can then work with each set of images separately. You can even rename the folder, like any other folder, to have a relevant name for the subjects on the images. That name will remain on the SD card, and show up when you return, just like any other device on your PC.

My practice has evolved into:
1. Open the camera like I explained above.
2. Review the images, one by one.
3. Upon first examination, some are immediately candidates for deletion, and are eliminated right on the SD card.
4. Those I want to keep and work with on my PC, I do a "copy"
5. I have already established a folder, sub-folder, sub-sub-folder, ... arrangement on my PC, naming a "new folder" to my choice. I tend to use mmddXXXXXX, where mm is the two digit month, dd is the day, and XXXXXXX is the subject for recognition. With this scheme, the folders can be easily recognized by chronology.
6. I use the "paste" to put the files in the proper directory. I may use "cut" if I don't want to keep them on the SD card.
7. I use Picasa 3.0 to manage the images. When initiating Picasa, I will see it indexing these new images it found.
8. Use Picasa to make further review, tuning, croping, etc.
9. I generally shoot at 8mp, so these are too big for this forum. They need to be about 1,200 pixels on side.
10. I use the Picasa function to choose those I wish to upload, and Export them to another temporary directory. The Picasa Export function requires you to provide the maximum pixel dimension for the images. I choose 1,200. Now I have a subset of images in a temporary directory, with a pixel count of 1,200 on a side.
11. When coming to this Forum, use the Go Advanced feature at the bottom.
12. An extended screen will come up. Look for the Managing Attachments feature.
13. Click on this option, and a new window will open. Use the Browse to find the temporary directory, and double click on the image you wish to upload, and then click on the Upload icon in the new window. The image will be uploaded. Move to the second image, and follow the same process. Perhaps you can choose five at a time, and go through the Upload process one time. The Forum allows only five images to be processed at one time.

Sorry, that sounds much more difficult than happens in reality. But, I hope that helps.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:10 PM   #3

Debi-

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for dropping by. I am glad that you received the FZ35 Beginner's Guide that I wrote and sent to you. I hope that it has been helpful.

Concerning downloading: I my opinion, everything is is a whole lot easier is you use a card reader. I have attached a photo of a simple SD card reader that sells locally for $1.98. A card reader allows you to select the photos that you desire on an individual basis. You bring them into your editing software (even the free Picasa 3.0 which is a free download from www.google) where you can very easily adjust the correcting for brightness, contrast, sharpness and cropping.

As far as up loading photos to the Panasonic P+S folder goes, here is a link where you can find full data on how to do just that:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...oto-forum.html

We are always happy to handle your questions at anytime. I am usually through this folder 3 to 4 times of day, so I am able to deal with most questions quite quickly.

Once again, welcome!

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:33 AM   #4

Ugg, thats a lot of work to organize the pictures. I really like just plugging the camera in to a cable. Plus my husband (who does computer work) doesn't like the thought of me constantly taking the card out of the camera...

Thanks, using Picasso I was able to resize the pictures.

I am just not happy with the 'darkness' of the pictures. What do you think? Do I have to use the camera in a manual mode to brighten things up? Using Picasso I was able to lighten the pictures.

I do realize neither of these pic's are real 'artistic', I just used them because they really show the problems I am seeing!
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:53 PM   #5

debi

As a professional digital camera instructor who shoots 1,000 or more images each month, and who has never downloaded by cable over a 16 year period, I can tell you based on a whole lot of experience that removing the card or chip from the camera has no negative effects at all. In fact In over 90% of my shooting, I shoot less than a dozen photos, and process the card or chip. So, in fact I probably am removing my card twice as often as a normal camera user. I am aware though that it is "going against the grain" to change long in place habits.

The two posted photos show 3 visible problems.

(1) The photos both lack good focus. I would suggest you adjust your menu settings to reflect center point focusing. Also, Debi, you as the photographer have to decide which is the most important spot in the photo and then focus on that spot, and while holding the shutter release halfway down, you re-frame the photo as desired.

(2) The WB (White balance) in these two photos is slightly off. They would look much better if the WB was correctly set. So, please use the correct pre-set WB, or better yet set the WB manually.

(3) The photos show rather visible noise. That noise could have been eliminated by using your FZ35's built-in flash unit. Or if you decided that the photo environment really require the use of no flash, then you should have selected the High Sensitivity Scene Mode. The resulting image would have been at a lesser resolution, but at a much faster shutter speed that would have stopped the evident blurring due to a slow shutter speed in Photo#2.

Using Photo #1, I captured and re-processed the photo where I attempted to increase the sharpness and to correct the WB. I hope that you do not mind,as I needed an example of how the existing photo could be improved.

Finally you will obtain better image quality using the "P" (Programed Auto) mode rather than the IA mode.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:40 PM   #6

Hi Debi and welcom to the fourm - I'm with Sarah on the issue of downloading. Like her, I just use a simple card reading and download directly from my card to the computer and into Photoshop. Its quick and easy, no fuss - and problem free. Hope this helps - Dyane
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:42 PM   #7

Thanks, I'll give those ideas a shot!
I have the iso limited as you suggest. Will the high sensitivity override that?

Debi
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:47 PM   #8

Yes it will overwrite the iso limit.

Personally I prefer to use the flash whenever I can not shoot with a shutter 1/30 (or faster) and iso 400 (or lower).

The flash intensity can be set to the desired level to prevent over (or under) exposure.

Btw, my laptop has a build in sd reader and I also take it out of the camare, must have done that a dozen times today, never went wrong (Yet, fingers crossed)

Visit my album on Flickr!
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:08 AM   #9

Another vote for using a card reader. Have done this with DSLR, compact Olympus & now FZ38 on a regular basis & never had (touch wood) any problem. From posts I've read in the past on forums if you download direct from camera you either need the camera connected to an AC/DC mains adapter or need to be sure the battery is good & lively. If battery fails whilst downloading you could potentially lose shots. Card reader with USB connection seems pretty safe option. I download each fresh batch of shots as soon as I get to my PC & then once I have them on HD & copies on an external back-up HD I reformat the SD card. Keeps it nice & "clean" & much easier than selectively deleting old shots if I need to free up some space.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:48 AM   #10

P mode is very easy to use, you only change the settings you want to change, and everything else remains automatic. I suggest trying P mode, and set to point focus. Start out with ISO 400, then depress the shutter halfway and see what shutter speed the camera has selected for you. If it's slower than 1/250, then you will get movement blur of the kids. At that point, I would switch over to using flash.

I also download images directly from the SD card to my laptop, doing that several times a day on many occasions. I do make sure to backup all my photos onto a separate hard drive once a month or so.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote