Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:20 AM   #1

Default Shuttl - (ISS) space station encore flyover tonight.

I caught the shuttle and space station flyover last night and it was quite neat and ran inside to get the camera. I only had a few minutes to take a pictures but they would not focus.

They are coming again tonight a 7:20-7:30 PM here in CT and the skies should be clear.

Any settings suggestions for getting a shot of theses. For the most part they are big bright mag -3 lights in the sky but watching them follow each other across the sky is fairly neat to watch.

Since this is the last shuttle mission, filming these could be a nice segway into an astronomy nature documentary we may do in the future.

Last edited by Chris0383; Mar 8, 2011 at 7:38 AM.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:35 AM   #2

My experience with moon shots is that the moon is not clear when you focus on infinity, but is clear when you focus just a bit closer then infinity. Maybe its the same with the shuttle? I would try manual focus and then not entirely to infinity.

Btw, where can you see what the flight path of the shuttle is?

Visit my album on Flickr!
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:47 AM   #3

Right now here is what I have.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/

Just enter your country - state -nearby town.

Now here is the visual flight path.

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdat...ing/index.html

So it appears visible to the east coast. They will be about as bright a Venus gets mag -3 in the sky and that's quite bright.

This is the last shuttle mission an end to the era of shuttle space travel. If you can get a nice video of the two crossing the sky it could be a nice clip to save.

You most likely will never see the shuttle in the sky again.

The shuttle lands Wednesday and the ISS will be doing solo fly over again in the few days after.

Unfortunately the FZ-35 doesn't have an infinity setting or one that I know if. I'll look through the user manual again today.

Last edited by Chris0383; Mar 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the links, I may see it at 7:15pm, will try to see/shoot it.

The FZ35 does have a infinitive setting. Just put it on manual focus and point the joystick upwards. The 8 laying on it's side is the infinitive symbol.

I thought of something else. If you increase your aperture (F) then the focus area gets wider (wider DoF), thus you'll have more chance of getting it sharp.

The manual focus shows in yellow what will be sharp. With F maxed (8), the yellow bar goes from 1m to infinitive (didn't know the yellow bar adjusted to aperture (F))

Visit my album on Flickr!
RafalW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:34 AM   #5

Thanks

I don't use the manual focus on mine because the movement isn't smooth and its very jumpy. Maybe the linear actuator needs breaking in. But I can jump it up to infinity.

Actually when I reloaded the diagram, I can see the shuttle now over land and its flight path makes more sense.

I'll look more into that.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by Chris0383; Mar 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:19 AM   #6

Just an fyi, if you have an android phone there are apps that help with when this and other satellites that pass.
here's a webpage I use as well.
http://www.n2yo.com/?s=37371
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:31 PM   #7

Now I know why she said split the sky Ha wow! http://www.facebook.com/video/video....15385&comments
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:08 AM   #8

Unfortunately it was a complete failure. I went to a very dark spot in a nature preserve and the stars lit up the sky like a lightbright toy. They bothed passed under the foot of the constellation Orion. It would have been a great shot. All I got was darkness and a little pin prick of a white dot.

Can't we even take a picture of constellations with this camera ? I have a feeling we really need a tripod and a 60 second shutter speed. I have a feeling I approached this once in a life time opp. all wrong.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:49 PM   #9

Hummm my camera is now dead I wonder if them flights have done some work of evil to us whom have brought any kind of device..... now that would really be a bad thing spending money to have some one do something bad! One day they will all pay for the evils they do.....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
Hummm my camera is now dead I wonder if them flights have done some work of evil to us whom have brought any kind of device..... now that would really be a bad thing spending money to have some one do something bad! One day they will all pay for the evils they do.....
Well we are in the midst of some serious solar flares that is affecting electronics.