Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:25 AM   #11

I really want to go with a larger zoom, I loved my FZ35 but it always left me wanting more.

When i lost it, i went with a nikon d90 as a replacement. I spent a lot of money on the body + stock 18-105 lens and then picked up a few various lenses. nikon 18x200 vrII, nikon 85mm 1.8 & 60mm macro lens,& a prime 50mm 1.4,... but I couldn't justify the cost for personal use. It was a lot of fun ill definitely return to the SLR world when i have my first kid.

The fz35 was a great all around camera, would have liked something a little sharper with a larger zoom.

Are there any other companies to consider? how is the new Nikon?

Last edited by JonnyJ; Mar 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM.
JonnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:12 AM   #12

JonnyJ Trade you my FZ35 for that Nikon stuff.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:52 PM   #13

The FZ40 will get you more zoom than the FZ35 - it's also a nice camera. I liked both of them.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:16 PM   #14

Look for some of LTZ470 & Saly post in this forum to see how far you can push the fz40/45 for close ups, DyaneG for macro's and just about everyone else for amazing photo's from the fz40/45 or fz35/38

As others have said, the manufactures are really struggling to improve picture quality without going to larger sensors. More pixels don't seem to help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyJ View Post
I really want to go with a larger zoom, I loved my FZ35 but it always left me wanting more.

When i lost it, i went with a nikon d90 as a replacement. I spent a lot of money on the body + stock 18-105 lens and then picked up a few various lenses. nikon 18x200 vrII, nikon 85mm 1.8 & 60mm macro lens,& a prime 50mm 1.4,... but I couldn't justify the cost for personal use. It was a lot of fun ill definitely return to the SLR world when i have my first kid.

The fz35 was a great all around camera, would have liked something a little sharper with a larger zoom.

Are there any other companies to consider? how is the new Nikon?
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:33 PM   #15

Jonny-

It seems that zoom is your priority. That being so, if the FZ35 and FZ40 both come up short in terms of zoom, you can take a look at the Canon SX30 or the Nikon P500.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:18 PM   #16

Sarah... a couple of related questions for you and/or anyone else who has experience with both the FZ35 and FZ40:

1) I've heard conflicting reports about image quality from the FZ40 versus the FZ35 - particularly in low light. Can you provide some definitive information about this?

2) Is the FZ35's image quality as good as the FZ28's?

3) Yes, the FZ40 offers a 25-600mm zoom versus the 28-486mm of the FZ35. But, throughout that shared 28-486mm range of both cameras, is the FZ40's lens as fast as the FZ35's? Do you know or is there a web link that can provide that information?

I'm asking because I have relatives interested in these cameras. And, frankly, now that I've sold my FH22 and TS1, I wouldn't mind picking up one for myself, for those special occasions for which this kind of camera is perfect. I bought my daughter the FZ28 a few years ago and she loves it. I even used it myself when I visited her last summer (the trip during which I lost my Olympus E-PL1!).
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:47 PM   #17

Biro, I'll try to answer your questions.
1) Image quality is about the same between both cameras. The FZ35 is probably a little better out of the box but the FZ40 only needs a little tweaking with some of the menu settings and it can take stellar photos (search for LTZ470's photo posts with the FZ40). But as with all superzoom cameras including the FZ40 and FZ35 the lowlight performance isn't too fantastic, both cams are usable up to about ISO800 but above that they are either too noisy or the detail will be washed out from the noise reduction.

2) From what I have read and seen both cameras are on par with each other, the FZ35 having the slightly higher resolution but this is usually not noticeable.

3) I'm not too sure on this one but I would assume that both camera are about the same.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:12 AM   #18

Biro-

No offense to David, but I see it a bit differently. In terms of low light, the FZ 28 was the best performer, followed by the somewhat less able FZ35. The FZ40 has less image quality at ISO 800 when the FZ28 does very well.

Since purchasing a new FZ28 is now not really an option, the FZ35 becomes your best option when compared to the FZ40. Another factor to place into the mix is spare batteries. The FZ28 and FZ35 can use generic/third party batteries at a real savings. In contrast, the FZ40 requires a much more expensive Panasonic brand spare battery. I have attached a no flash/existing light FZ28 photo for reference.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:04 AM   #19

Jonny - after looking at numerous posts here of shot with FZ35, 40 and 100, I really can't see a huge difference in image quality.

I own the FZ35 and love it, but if I had to get a new one today, I would probably go with the FZ40 for the extra zoom.

Also, I believe the FZ35 and 40 both have CCD image sensors, while the FZ100 has a CMOS image sensor. So, the 40 may have a more similar image look to the 35.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:43 PM   #20

Alright then... permit me one final question. In this string elsewhere on this Panasonic forum, there is a comparison of ISO 1600 shots between the FZ35 and the FZ40:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...0-iso1600.html

A lot of people preferred the FZ40 shot here over that of the FZ35. The FZ35 shot appears a bit sharper to me. But it is clear the colors are more saturated in the FZ40 shot, which I am sure one can get with the FZ35 by manipulating settings. But how about the chroma noise? There's a lot less of that in the FZ40 image. For those who have experience with the camera, can one get similar results with the FZ35 by notching up the NR a bit?

In all fairness, I probably won't be using either camera beyond ISO 800 all that much (that's what I have my other cameras for) - probably only if that's the only way to get a shot in a given situation.

FYI... on B&H's website, they list the FZ40 as discontinued by the manufacturer and no longer available. One can only wonder what Panasonic might be offering us later this year. How a camera with all the features of the FZ100 - but with a 10mp backlit CCD sensor?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote