Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:23 PM   #1

Default DMC ZS7 Best setting for moon shot? HELP, PLS!!!

What would be the best setting wfor DMC ZS7 to take really nice, sharp picture of moon tonight? Don't wanna miss my chance tonight. Am pretty new to picture taking so some advice would be really helpful. Dunno much about ISO, exposure, and pretty much everything else? Am gonna find out on the net, but as I got camera just recently, did't have time to find out about stuff. Always wanted to take a good picture of moon and this is the night. Got a tripod but no extra lenses or so. Could anyone quickly explain me the best setting in a brief, please?.... Thanx a lot....
volcomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:39 PM   #2

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomek View Post
What would be the best setting wfor DMC ZS7 to take really nice, sharp picture of moon tonight? Don't wanna miss my chance tonight. Am pretty new to picture taking so some advice would be really helpful. Dunno much about ISO, exposure, and pretty much everything else? Am gonna find out on the net, but as I got camera just recently, did't have time to find out about stuff. Always wanted to take a good picture of moon and this is the night. Got a tripod but no extra lenses or so. Could anyone quickly explain me the best setting in a brief, please?.... Thanx a lot....
As I didn't know the ZS7, only the FZ40/45, I can give you just some general recommendations

1. use the lowest ISO that is possible (e.g. ISO 80)
2. Focus manually on to the moon
3. Use Spot Metering mode
4. Auto White Balance
5 Aperture 8.0
6. Shutter Speed 1/100 to 1/200 (you have to make some experiments)

Good luck, have fun and post your pix!

Cheers,

Stefan
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:53 PM   #3

How do I focus manually? Which setting (letter) do I need to go for on the rotating button on the top of the cam? And how do I set aperture? Sorry, I'm a real beginner with all the setting, until now I always went for auto setting, but now I wanna take some real nice pics and get into it a lot more. Thanx a lot. Appreciate your help.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:56 PM   #4

there is no manual focus on ZS7. Just found out from manual ((
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:58 PM   #5

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

I am sorry, but as I didn't own and therefore know the ZS7, I can only recommend you to take a look into the manual of the cam.

Cheers,

Stefan
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:01 PM   #6

Thank you. Battery run flat now, so gonna have to wait till tomo and hope for a nice clear sky. >)

Erik
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:04 PM   #7

I dont think ZS7 have manual focus option.

You can set the rotating button to "A" (aperture priority) and choose the higher number you can (6.3 I think, at full zoom)... the higher the number, the sharper will be the image (hopefully )

Edit: looks like I took too long to write my reply

Greetings
Rui Marques

Last edited by rpmarques; Mar 19, 2011 at 8:14 PM. Reason: correct info
rpmarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:09 PM   #8

I found this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-advice-2.html

There is a good description, how to perform good moon shots with the ZS7.

Cheers,

Stefan
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:21 AM   #9

Default Panasonic ZS7

If you want to adjust settings you can go to manual Exposure (M), Shutter Priority (S), Aperture Priority (A), and Program AE. All PS cameras have very small sensors and will not give you the same quality as a camera with larger sensor. These types of cameras usually come with lenses. The ZS7 is a fine camera for the price. You just have to take the time to get better knowledge of how to use it for the type of shot being performed. Each of the above will allow you to change camera settings for what you require. You have to go into each to make the adjustments for the shot. ISO 80, ect. It is all there.

People tend to purchase electronics and make assumptions about them without fully understanding how it operates. Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by Strike a Pose; Mar 20, 2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: I repeated a sentence
Strike a Pose is offline   Reply With Quote