Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:43 PM   #11

Roger All I want to try with the test shots is to see if we take out all the variables will the camera take a clean, sharp image. Just a reminder, make sure you depress the shutter release halfway down and give the camera time to lock focus before completely finishing the shutter release.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:47 AM   #12

I did get out yesterday to make some test shots. I did multiple test shots, and will post one here.

I did do a master reset, as suggested. Yes, p. 35 is the right place in the instruction manual. Thanks for that tip.

I chose a tree, with much texture, and with reasonable light. I put the camera on a tripod, set the resolution to 12mp, made no changes on exposure with P mode. I did use the 10 second timer, and made sure I was depressing the shutter button half way for a moment (until the beep), and then fully depressing.

I'm not sure much was learned here. I shot a zero zoom, than made successive change, until the full 18X was realized four shots later. Frankly, I believe the fully zoomed shots are the best for sharpness. There is no consideration on these with composition or exposure -- that was not the point.

I did another tree that seemed to indicate likewise -- not too pleased with zero zoom, but the 18X was good.

I will post five shots here of the tree study. I did try to use Picasa to lift out the detailed image from the zero zoom, that was similar to the 18X zoom. However, the pixel count was small, leaving a small image.

I'm going to try to post in full pixel count. Perhaps the Forum software will not allow such large images to be posted. If not, I will have to take another step to reduce the pixel count.

Many thanks to Marilyn for the Picasa web album link. I studied all these images. Some of the nomenclature does not match with the FZ35 terms. I'm unsure about "gain control" and "exposure mode." I did see that most of your images had saturation, contrast, and sharpness set to 2.

This morning, I made those settings, and went out (good sunlight today!) and did some shots of inanimate objects at close range (leaf, fence post). These shots were, in my opinion, good. I will post them in another message. I also tried using zoom, and AF Zoom in one of them, with good results. I saw the cat pictures were done this way, at least with some (maybe full?) zoom. The outcome was favorable.

I then returned to my real project, daffodils. I tried these settings on the daffodils, with favorable outcomes. I will let others make their own assessments. Five of these shots are in another message.

I think I have answered my question, at least to some extent. I do not believe I have a bad camera, rather I'm just not using it properly (undoubtedly no surprise to the regular posters here). It just appears that I need to take a different path than with my former camera to achieve similar results.

I still would like to do a one-on-one with another camera working along side.

First set of test shots follows:

[Well, not so much! I will have to resize them for uploading. Upload did not work. Go to next post.]
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:57 AM   #13

The first set of sequences:
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:59 AM   #14

The second set -- leaf and fence post.
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:01 AM   #15

And, the third set -- daffodils.
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:53 AM   #16

Roger - I guess I forgot to tell you to start at a high zoom and move up on the stationary test. I took a couple of the shots and cropped and had a look. I think your camera is fine. I think all the shots you posted look good. Now just practice a little more I think you will be very happy with the results. Looking forward to future posts. Now go have some fun.

jj

jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 6:03 PM   #17

Roger, I had the same feeling about my FZ45. Most of my shots had been taken in doors due to weather etc.

When I did manage to get out, I also was not happy, but the sky was so grey that outdoor shots were washed out. I also did a factory reset and think it made some differance.

Today a little sunshine and I think my pictures look better