Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:38 PM   #1

Default FZ35 - how do I know if my camera is bad?

I bought a new FZ35 at the end of 2010. I did some shooting through the Winter months, and did post some shots. I was not very pleased with the sharpness of the shots, and said so in some of my posts.

I took some shots of birds, some with tripod, but, again, I was disappointed.

On Sunday, I made some shots of daffodils and some other early Spring flowers. I was not entirely pleased with the sharpness of them either. I chose to post them "Signs of Spring ..." Also, I shot some images of turkey and deer, and posted them in the same thread.

I've taken many others, which never made it to this Forum. I was displeased with them also, for the same reasons. Some were handheld, but many others were with a tripod.

I come here nearly every day to see what others have posted. I am amazed that we have the same camera. The last one that really took by socks off was the thread of the spider, bird and cat (sorry, can't remember the poster). I keep returning to the images, and marvel at the sharp detail. This is what I was hoping to get from my camera.

Today, the daylight was off and on, but still pretty bright. I took about 55 shots, all close up of daffodils and hellebore (flowers). I was so disgusted with all of them, I did not even bother to download off camera after viewing them.

Previously, I had been using a $99 Canon P & S (AS1100IS). I've made some comparative shots recently, and am learning I can do better with my Canon (macro mode) than with my FZ35. I have tried many different settings, none of which produce sharper images than other settings. In my last postings, I asked some questions. Saly provided some answers that confirmed my thoughts.

So, I'm now wondering if I have a bad camera. How can I know? I don't have another FZ35 sitting here to make comparative shots. I do have a friend with a Nikon P90(? but a comparative mega-zoom model). She has been wanting to do some shooting with me (she has very little idea how to use the camera). I am doubting she would loan me the camera for an afternoon. That is my only thought -- take one-for-one, FZ35 vs. Nikon.

Any other suggestions on how I can either confirm my camera is good, or has a flaw?
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:10 PM   #2

Have you checked all the settings? Is the anti shake On? Are you in macro when shooting macro? etc? If so, Take it back and exchange it for a new one before more time has passed.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:26 PM   #3

I feel so sorry for your frustration, but as most members will attest, you never stop practising. I am thrilled you like my spider, bird and cat shots - but let me assure you, there are many, many more that never make it here. I often used to wonder if I would ever get a sharp shot! I will post you the link to my Picasa site where you can view the exif data for those photos you like to see how your settings match. I hope it will be of some help. Please feel free to ask any specific question. I have received so much help from this forum. They are all great people.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mazj50/...eat=directlink

Marilyn
azam650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:30 PM   #4

You may also want to do a factory re-set to clear any faulty setting you may have accidentally introduced. Then you can follow Sarah's beginner's guide. My FZ35 produced great shots from day one, and I was a complete camera newbie.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:27 PM   #5

Spot focus is also the key issue in getting sharper photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:03 AM   #6

Roger Ė Maybe there is something wrong with your camera. If there is, it might be a problem with the cameras ability to focus. Only thing I can suggest trying is this:

Reset your camera back to the default setting as saly suggested.
Take the camera outside when you have good light.
Set the mode to P mode
Change the focus to spot.
Use a tripod
Find a stationary object (top of lamppost, anything. Just make sure itís in the light).
Setup the tripod about 30-35 feet or so away.
Take about 4-5 shots with the zoom increasing each time until you fill the frame with the object. (Do not use digital zoom) .
When you take the shots use the 10 second timer.
Crop each of the images so that the object fills the frame.
Post the shots here and letís take a look.

Hope this helps.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:00 AM   #7

Good advice from Sarah, Saly and JJ, I would do so and show the pictures here. I am a newbie with the FZ45, although some images are blurred, but then afterwards I know most of what I did wrong.

Panasonic FZ45
Stef72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:08 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses. I see so much enthusiasm here for the FZ35 and its siblings, I feel left out.

I will take these suggestions, and implement. Today is a lousy day outside, heavy overcast, so not a good day for the successive shot idea.

I don't know how to do a "factory reset," but I'm sure there is something in the manual about this task. That seems to be a great first step.

Stay tuned, I will be back. I have GOT TO make this work!
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:22 PM   #9

Roger - It might talk about reset on page 35.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger53 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I see so much enthusiasm here for the FZ35 and its siblings, I feel left out.

I will take these suggestions, and implement. Today is a lousy day outside, heavy overcast, so not a good day for the successive shot idea.

I don't know how to do a "factory reset," but I'm sure there is something in the manual about this task. That seems to be a great first step.

Stay tuned, I will be back. I have GOT TO make this work!
There is a Reset option in the Setup menu. Page 35 of Advanced User Manual.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote