Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:56 AM   #31

Oh, yes, thanks! I will change to Q and give it a try!
A

Last edited by kibaris; Apr 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 4:38 PM   #32

Hmmm, MY fz38 tends to miss-focus things in dark rooms, or when I use extended zoom (12-15x).
these photos are taken ih pretty ideal enviroment (lot of natural light , flowers are camera-friendly) so there might be problem with camera.
Id suggest you try something bit complicated:

go to P mode (Id recommend M mode but its quite complicated)
on a top of the camera , press focus button and select MF (manual focus)
set it right - with joystick.

now try to take photo..
hrvoje xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
I do not understand what this test can prove. Manual focusing might work correct, but I am having a problem with auto focusing.
A.
That's why i had mentioned the 'pressing the focus button' part. That kicks in the AF mechanism of your camera which has the minimum margin of error. If it still misses the point then you might as well call in for a replacement.

Secondly, after reading your post i tried messing with my 40 and it does do what your 35 is doing at times. The reason for this is that the AF works on contrast and mostly you have the background that takes the advantage on that (I'm still fuzzy on WHY). A trick that works almost every time is shrinking your AF area. That puts more stress on your camera (which you will notice because of a longer AFing time) but gets the job done
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2011, 2:36 AM   #34

I did all the test you mention above, but my fz38 is still missing sometimes the focus point (in macro AF close ups). I am sending the camera to be checked, it is still under guaranty. Should I ask for a replacement, or fixing the problem is ok?alexandros
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:39 PM   #35

If you have a shot at it, I say take it. Ask for a replacement. If you don't get it, a simple fix is okay. Keep in mind that this may just be a firmware glitch that they'll see to.

As for the rest, Best of luck with it
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:42 PM   #36

Well, I had my fz38 checked and of course they said it works OK!
I made a lot of tests again and I finilly cleared out the following:

my camera is missing the correct focus point, at 'macro zoom, spot focus" when the subject is small compered to the whole screen (that' s why I use spot focus). When the subjects is big enough compered to the whole screen, then I get a good sharp image.

Does anybody have any sugdestion about this, before I go with my camera to the service and ASK and DEMAND for a new camera? Is it something I am doing wtong, or go over the camera's limits?

The following first two photos have a large subject, so 'spot focus works ok', but the latter three have a small subject. Do I expect 'spot focus ' to cope with it, or is it natural that I dont have a sharp image?

Thanks for every wise answer!
a.
Attached Images

Last edited by kibaris; Apr 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 2:37 PM   #37

There are two optins , either you are doing something terribly wrong (its possible , you must hold your camera quite steady when you are taking shot like this) or theres something wrong with the camera.
This photo with the beatle and the last one phote are typical example of "missfocused" photo.

easyest way to take macro photo like this , is to select symbol of a rose .. I dont do that often , since I use M mode mostly , but Ive tried now to show example (bear in mind that its quite harder taking shot like that underartificial light)

here is the result

I wonder how you manage to miss-focus photo , doesnt your camera , when you halfpress shutter button , gives you green square , as a symbol of where it "thinks" it should be focused?
I think you are doing it wrong , couse in first two pictures, where its quite easy you got right focus , but in that beetle picture , you did it wrong couse the beetle is so small, you have to lock correct focus..

Last edited by hrvoje xyz; Apr 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
Well, I had my fz38 checked and of course they said it works OK!
I made a lot of tests again and I finilly cleared out the following:

my camera is missing the correct focus point, at 'macro zoom, spot focus" when the subject is small compered to the whole screen (that' s why I use spot focus). When the subjects is big enough compered to the whole screen, then I get a good sharp image.
You my friend have finally got to the root. This is not a fault. It's just how the software inside is written to work

now when you are taking macro closeups, yes the MACRO AF and SPOT metering and SPOT AF are good. One thing that adds greatly to the mix is the size of your focus reticle (the square in the centre)

Press the focus button in the MARCO AF mode and diminish the size of the reticle to the smallest. That HAS to solve your issue.

Cheers!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:03 PM   #39

I have followed this thread because of similar difficulties.

xHassan made a comment in post #38 about the size of the reticle. I presume this to be the square that denotes the focal point. I've read the manual and searched and I do not find any way to adjust that size. I find in the focal area selection menu several choices. The bottom one appears to be Spot. The next selection up appears to have a larger focal area. I do not see a way of adjusting these sizes. Is there one, or was the reference to the two choices I noted?

Thanks.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:26 AM   #40

You can always use manual focus..theres a button on a top of the camera - press and hold - screen pops out, default value is AF, you select MF , and then manually adjust..

really , FZ38 gives options of setting values almost as much as most of the (entry- mid level) dslrs ...