Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:18 PM   #1

Default New FZ40 and LT55

Hello All,
Just got my new FZ40, which I like very much, though I haven't had time to fully explore it. Lots of good information here, helped me make a decision. Thank you.

I'm also interested in the LT55 for telephoto. BH Photo shows some good reviews of it; I'd really like to hear from users of the FZ40 plus LT55 combination--and from people who have an opinion about this.

Thank you,
Bob
rmmcrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:39 PM   #2

Hi and welcome to the forum. This is a great place to share information and ask questions as there is sure to be someone who can help. I procrastinated for ages over whether to get the LT55 and I am sure glad I did. Very expensive here in Australia so I purchased from Amazon in the US. Others on this forum have the Nikon TC lens or the Olympus and all are extremely good telephoto lenses. Love to see some of your shots posted here when you get a chance. Cheers Lyn
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:59 PM   #3

Bob, welcome to the forum! LT55 is an excellent teleconverter if you like wildlife photography. Keep in mind that you also need to get the adapter extension tube to use with this lens. I've had one for a short while and here are some links to my first shots with it. Also keep in mind that a tripod is a must when using any telephoto lens.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...t-55-fz35.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ots-dyane.html

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:45 PM   #4

Default Wow!

Thank you Lyn and Saly for your replies.

Right now I'm taking test pictures--channel markers from a distance, a car across the channel, boat registration numbers--not very interesting stuff, but I hope to have a picture or two worthy for sharing sometime soon.

As you can guess I need some range. My wife and I travel to Yellowstone as often as possible for wildlife and landscape viewing and photography. We have used the lower end Nikon dslrs, but they are heavy with zoom lenses and we want to do a little more light hiking with our gear. The FZ40 seems so far to be just right for our needs. We will probably leave the Nikons at home this summer, especially if we get the LT55.

Saly, I am very impressed with your FZ sample photos. Wow! The Wood Duck pictures are very sharp with vivid colors that seem very accurate. I like that peeking squirrel, too. Great stuff!

I agree about tripods...really essential for long range shots. We have 2 Manfrottos and a Manfrotto monopod, which I really like. Mine are 055s and a little heavy. I'll check out the carbons, too.

Thanks again...and thanks to Sarah, too.

Bob
rmmcrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmcrob View Post
I agree about tripods...really essential for long range shots. We have 2 Manfrottos and a Manfrotto monopod, which I really like. Mine are 055s and a little heavy. I'll check out the carbons, too.

Thanks Bob for your kind words! Yes, I bit the bullet and bought the Manfrotto 732 carbon fiber tripod and boy, am I glad! It doesn't weigh anything. I also use it with my GF1 + 300mm lens and it's plenty steady for that.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote