Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:51 PM   #1

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
Default Which DSLR as supplement to the FZ40/45?

Hi all,

I am considering about to buy a DSLR as a supplement to my Pany.

I am not sure which to buy:

Pentax K-5

Olympus E-5

Nikon D7000

Panasonic GH2

Which one would you prefer?

High IQ by low light would be important for me, as this is the weak spot of the FZ40/45.

Cheers,

Stefan

StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:02 PM   #2

I've heard wonderful things about the GH2. If I had money and need for another camera, that's the one I would get.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:02 PM   #3

Stefan, what types of photos are you taking in low light? That will help determine what lens, flash or other type of equipment is needed above and beyond a camera body.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:07 PM   #4

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Stefan, what types of photos are you taking in low light? That will help determine what lens, flash or other type of equipment is needed above and beyond a camera body.
John,

I am mainly interested in nature photography, animals and plants also macro shots.
So the camera should also be fast and able to make series (fast, e.g. for birds and insects and slow, e.g. for growing plants).

Cheers,

Stefan

StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:21 PM   #5

For what you want, the GH2 is not the camera for you. At full resolution the fps does not compare to a real dslr.

For animal the E5 has the 2x crop so if your subject require allot of reach. The slightly smaller sensor will give you 600mm of reach with a 70-300mm lens in daylight.

The nikon and pentax with a 300mm lens will only give you 450mm or reach. And the E5 does focus faster then both the k-5 and d7000. And has a much longer burst rate then the nikon that will let you shot 6fps for about 2.5 sec only before slowing down to 1fps.

But the pentax and nikon are better low light camera. They are cleaner at 3200 and 6400iso then the E5.

The nikon will give you some really good lens options, but lenses with 600mm of reach will be expensive. The pentax k-x really do not have a very fast 300mm lens. The da 55-300mm is a sharp lens, but it does not focus as fast as the nikon and olympus lenses.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:12 PM   #6

I also hear lot of good things about the Sony A55.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:47 PM   #7

The Nikon D7000 is great camera and, as shoturtle says, will give you some really good lens options. The 50mm f1.4 is a very good low light lens and the 105mm f2.8 micro lens can also be used as a medium zoom. Difficult choice with all the options out there. Good luck but do your research to find the perfect fit for you and your needs.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:01 PM   #8

my 2cents on the subject...

I like the GH2, the smaller sensor allow a smaller camera and can give you some good quality photos, almost as good as a DSLR. Low light can be an issue, but I can't give an opinion about that.

The bigger issue for me with the GH2 is the camera and lens prices.... really expensive! With other brands you can find really good lens at a more interesting price.

Greetings
Rui Marques

Last edited by rpmarques; Apr 11, 2011 at 6:03 PM.
rpmarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:14 PM   #9

I would go with a sony A580 dslr over the A55 of you want sony, the battery does not last as long. The A55 does have flare and ghosting issue when light enter the lens in certain situations, city lights at night have issues because of the translucent mirror. And at full burst the camera is in complete auto. And there is the 1/3 of a stop lost of performance between the dslr and the slt system. And there is the issue of overheating when it gets to 90+ degrees so for some that can be a issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
I also hear lot of good things about the Sony A55.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:13 AM   #10

Even I am Planing to By my first DSLR.
My advice is don't buy a "cheap entry level" DSLR, cos after couple of months you will want to move to a better one.
I have searched for DSLRs for over three months and made my conclusion. I'm gonna buy a "Canon 7d". Canon 7d is one of the best semi pro cameras in the market. Even though it is bit more expensive, I rather wait and save money for it than buying a cheap one and worrying of selling it after two three months...

Once u buy a good camera body u can build ur lens collection depending ur requirements...

Check the following website, it will help u a lot to make a decision...
http://www.cameralabs.com/
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...o_review.shtml

Last edited by chirantha; Apr 13, 2011 at 3:24 AM.
chirantha is offline   Reply With Quote