Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:16 PM   #1

Default FZ35 - daffodils, Part 2

After reading comments from my thread a few days ago, I spent more time in study. I was not very pleased with the sharpness of the images, a problem I've made comment previously. Also, some comments were made with regard to exposure.

So, two changes were made. I now realize I was not using Spot focus, just spot exposure. Right after I got my camera, I did some shots at a family event, and activated "face recognition." I did not realize this activation eliminated other choices for focus. All my previous shots were made with FR, hence not spot focus. I was clearly wrong on this point. Thanks for continuing to ask the question and forcing me to do more work.

Secondly, with regard to exposure, the other shots were pp with hard shadows. In general, I think I tend to shoot at lower exposures than most. The bright flower, with not very much color or light variation, can get lost in the image. Obviously, the focal point is the flower, so bringing light to backgrounds or surrounding plant material was intended.

However, somebody suggested "bracketed exposure," a feature I had not previous used. I learned how to active, and shot many images with this feature. What I think I learned is that EC of my choice is used for "base," and the other two shots are first, minus the preset range, and second, plus the present range. In my case, many shots were done with EC at -1/3, with bracketed range of +-1. This meant the shots were: (1) base, that is EC -1/3, (2) EC -2/3, and (3) EC 0. Can somebody confirm if I have a right understanding. The book is hopelessly inadequate in explaining this feature.

Anyway, here is a series of five shots. I have taken this set from a total of 35 shots (pared down from 135). The entire list of 35 is in a Picasa album,

https://picasaweb.google.com/rehrlic...Hn0Ojho7yZ7AE#

The shots were taken after two days of rain. But, the morning had low sunlight, and the plants were covered in heavy dew. Most of the shots include water droplets that are easily seen in the images. The quality of blossoms on the plants are terrible -- ragged and dirty petals. But, I was more interested in getting some sharp images.

Thanks.
Attached Images

roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:25 PM   #2

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Roger,

nice shots and really a good job for the conditions.
I tried a little bit PP on your first shot with this result.
Please let me know, if you like or dislike it.

Cheers,

Stefan
Attached Images

StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 4:44 PM   #3

Roger, these are all fantastic! #3 is truly lovely. I think #4 would be terrific if you crop out some of the dirty leaf to the left. Very nice job!! Doesn't it drive you crazy how silly settings on the camera can make so much difference??

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:03 PM   #4

Stefan, thanks for your efforts to pp on one of my images. No, no, no, ... I don't have a problem with anybody trying to improve on my image.

I'm not sure what you did, but I think the light variations on the trumpet are a bit more pronounced. As splashy as the overall bloom is in the image, the light variations are sometimes hard to manage on the surfaces of the bloom.

Saly, thanks for your comments as well. I struggled with the crop on #4, and finally opted to leave the backside of the leaf in place. The leaf really as some form of scale. The surface has been plagued by a scale, not just dirt.

I've used the same image and made two different crop variations.

Improvement, or not?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:52 PM   #5

Yeah, I like the second one a lot. Here was my attempt:
I like yours.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:55 PM   #6

Roger, this is a great series... really nice photos!

Stefan and saly, you are doing a good job on advices and good PP

Congratulations to you 3

Greetings
Rui Marques
rpmarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:26 AM   #7

I love the water droplets on the daffs. Looks like they have been dipped in sugar. Glad you are learning and putting your skills into practice.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 4:33 AM   #8

Location: far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Roger,

I just corrected the color values of the picture in GIMP.
Unfortunately I use the German version, but here is a screenshot and maybe it would be helpful for you.

Cheers,

Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger53 View Post
Stefan, thanks for your efforts to pp on one of my images. No, no, no, ... I don't have a problem with anybody trying to improve on my image.

I'm not sure what you did, but I think the light variations on the trumpet are a bit more pronounced. As splashy as the overall bloom is in the image, the light variations are sometimes hard to manage on the surfaces of the bloom.

Saly, thanks for your comments as well. I struggled with the crop on #4, and finally opted to leave the backside of the leaf in place. The leaf really as some form of scale. The surface has been plagued by a scale, not just dirt.

I've used the same image and made two different crop variations.

Improvement, or not?

Thanks.
Attached Images

StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:13 PM   #9

Really great series, keep up the good work. No.3 is my fave.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:58 PM   #10

Thanks for the feedback and comments, ... and the encouragement. I was just about ready to give up the FZ35 a few weeks ago. But, I think I'm beginning to see some progress.

I've shot many more daffodil shots in the past few days. Nothing as really jumped out as being excellent. The daffodil season is about over, and the next wave will start (probably Bleeding Hearts). I shot some prelim shots today of ones that are just in bud, and I was encouraged. I was afraid I would have a hard time with focus because of lack of surface. That did not appear to be the case. Watch for some other shots in a few days.