Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:39 PM   #1
LEK

Default FZ35 shutter setting for the "cotton water" effect, and question on polarizing filter

Hello. Just a couple of questions as I get ready to take my FZ35 to Yosemite in a few weeks. I have a #8 Neutral Density Filter. I think to get that "cotton" effect on waterfalls and rushing water, I need to use a tripod, use the neutral density filter, and put it on Shutter Priority, is that correct? Any recommendations with a Neutral Density 8 what I should set the shutter speed to?
Also, in playing with the circular polarizer, at first I couldn't see any changes in the LCD screen at all, now I can see changes as I turn it but they seem random, it subtly changes as I turn it, then suddenly will clearly be darker, is that what I am looking for? And the sudden darkening seems to happen randomly, not when I turn the filter to a particular spot, so I don't know really how to get that effect except to turn and turn. I suspect I am doing something wrong but I just don't understand quite what I am looking for or how to get the polarizer to the right spot consistently. Advice welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by LEK; Apr 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM.
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:01 PM   #2

The slower your shutter speed (without over exposing your shot), the more "cottony" look you will get. I would try several different shutter, ISO, EV settings because this sounds like a special trip.

I find the polarizing filter awkward, too. Sometimes the effect is very subtle in the LCD. I think you just have to keep turning it until you find the right effect. The polarizing effect is a function of the sun angle to the camera, so it's not always consistent.

Another thing you may want to try if you have time is to stack both the ND and the polarizer. The added polarizer darkens further, as well as avoiding glare.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:51 PM   #3

The polarizing filter turns because the light does not reflect always the same way... so we need to turn the filter to find the effect we desire... stronger colors (especially blue sky) or avoid some surface glare... or "see" through a glass avoiding the reflex

maybe a look here may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polariz...r_(Photography)

Greetings
Rui Marques
rpmarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:21 AM   #4

Lucky you going to Yosemite. Hope you have a wonderful time in this stunning part of the world.
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:38 PM   #5
skd

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
The slower your shutter speed (without over exposing your shot), the more "cottony" look you will get. I would try several different shutter, ISO, EV settings because this sounds like a special trip.

I find the polarizing filter awkward, too. Sometimes the effect is very subtle in the LCD. I think you just have to keep turning it until you find the right effect. The polarizing effect is a function of the sun angle to the camera, so it's not always consistent.

Another thing you may want to try if you have time is to stack both the ND and the polarizer. The added polarizer darkens further, as well as avoiding glare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmarques View Post
The polarizing filter turns because the light does not reflect always the same way... so we need to turn the filter to find the effect we desire... stronger colors (especially blue sky) or avoid some surface glare... or "see" through a glass avoiding the reflex

maybe a look here may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polariz...r_(Photography)
Great info for a beginning photographer like myself! Thank you so much!
skd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:50 PM   #6

Here is a simple and quick sample of polarizing use.

These photos where taken last year with a CANON EOS 450D (Rebel Xsi) + Tamron 28-300mm on my trip to Scotland.

All handheld and no PP, only resize.

the B&W was set on camera settings.

The difference is the glare on the roof... turn the filter and shot, turn a bit more and shot again... only this way we can understand the efect caused by the filter.

On color photos, you can see some difference on color saturation plus the glare on the roof
Attached Images

Greetings
Rui Marques
rpmarques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:25 PM   #7
LEK

Hi, thanks much for the responses. I practiced quite alot today with the polarizer and seem to be getting it more consistently. Now that I know it depends on the angle of the sun, doesn't happen all the time, and that turning and turning is the expectation, it makes sense. But I got the sky to darken distinctly when the angle of the sun allowed that, so at least I can use it if the circumstances are right. Thanks.
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote