Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:58 PM   #1

Default BIF attempt (FZ35+LC55)

I've been trying for the longest time to capture bees in flight, with very little success. These are the best I've gotten so far. I've set the maximum DOF and shutter speed but still can't get everything to come out just right. Suggestions appreciated!!

#3 Bee OOF!!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:25 PM   #2

Saly,

You got me on this one. I thought how and the hell is she catching birds in flight with the LC55. Not birds but bees. . That said, great shots.

jj

Last edited by jjdog2; Apr 25, 2011 at 9:28 PM.
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:26 AM   #3

You stumped me too, Saly. I was wondering how BIF+LC55, should it not be LT55. Nice shots. Though I have not been very successful either, by past practice I can suggest that, since the insects tend to hover around a place, you fix the focus approximately at that distance and try burst shots when they actually dance around that spot. You can also try using flash to get crisp images, but flash won't work with burst mode, so you need to make repeated attempts. When using flash, you need some distance otherwise the flower may get washed out, or keep the flash intensity low and fire. Now that I have done the easier part of advising, I look forward to seeing results from your carrying out the advice!
Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:33 AM   #4

There is a high-speed flash mode under the SCN menu. It only does 3MP images but will do 5 with flash.

I think the secret is just to take *loads* of pictures and expect to throw most away. With luck you'll get a keeper.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:49 AM   #5

Thanks, Martin. I was not aware of that. Need to refresh by reading the manual once again.
Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Now that I have done the easier part of advising, I look forward to seeing results from your carrying out the advice!
Raghu
LOL Raghu, you cracked me up on this....thanks!!

All of you, great advice. The first two were taken in burst mode. I have thought about using the flash to "freeze" the wings. I will try that next. But the hardest part really is to get the little creature in your focus zone. Back out to the yard I go!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:28 PM   #7

Saly, the only other "obvious" advice is to try and get the shutter speed high as you can to freeze the wing movement, but then DOF will drop right off. Maybe the high speed flash mode will do the trick.

On my fz45, "flash burst" will give 3 mega pixels at 4:3 setting, but its using intelligent ISO