Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 7, 2011, 6:49 PM   #1

Default First FZ40 pictures - Flowers, Birdies, Sunset

Hello there
Today went to the woods to take real-life pictures with my brand-new FZ40. All I can say is that it really impressed me. Please sorry the pictures size and quality, I don't have a flickr account and don't know a good way to post them. Later I'm gonna make a googlepages page to post higher resolution ones.

They all were shot with manual adjustments (exposure and focus).

1 - Ordinary flower, macro test (it's a bad one, i know... first macro ever.) [f2.8 iso400 1/60]

2 - Another flower, almost full zoom [f5 iso160 1/125]

3 - Bird eating poisonous berries, full zoom [f5.2 iso800 1/250 ]

4 - Funny heh. Rapid trigger, full zoom [f5.2 iso1600 1/160]

5 - Sunset [f2.8 iso125 1/200]

Hope you don't mind the file quality. They have some noise because they all were taken later afternoon. The noise performance is outstanding imho though.

I regret not taking the 4 with iso800

Thank you.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2011, 7:18 PM   #2

Hi Electrolyte,

Looks like you are off to a fine start and having fun. Just keep taking shots, thats how we all learn. Love that sunset shot.

jj
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 8:17 AM   #3

Hi There Electro, you are have to a great start with the camera. Really like the first bird shot and the sunset - excellent colour. Look forward to seeing more from you.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:51 AM   #4

Thank you. I'm very happy that you like some of them.

I need to take pictures with lower ISOs, because even the 3 has too much noise looking it at 100%.

For macros, 400 isn't good, and as the object is generally static, i think it's okay to use a slower shutter speed (1/20 holding the camera in hands) and decrease the ISO value.

The number 2 is okay i think, it has a little bit of movement blur though, and maybe it's a little bit underexposed.

That funny one is so bad that even resized for web it's still noisy. Maybe a fancier resizing filter would produce a better one, nevertheless, ISO1600 is pretty much useless.

What is the lowest good shutter speed for animals (like birdies (not flying))? I think something like 1/160 is the slowest applicable, but i would like to hear opinions.

Thank you.
Old May 8, 2011, 5:37 PM   #5

Nice sunset.

With my FZ35, I try to stay under ISO 200. I only use ISO 400 and above as a last resort, when capturing a subject is more important than image quality. These bridge cameras just don't perform very well in low light condition, unless you can do a long (multiple seconds) exposure.

I'm only successful shooting moving targets in bright sun. I typically leave it on P mode and set the ISO to 100 and let the camera choose the shutter speed (1/200 or higher is good).

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 8:04 AM   #6

Thank you Saly. However, i think the FZ40 is a little bit different, because it prioritizes the ISO over shutter speed on P mode. For example, configured to auto ISO (400 limit) and shutter speed limit on 1/125, It will only increase the shutter speed after ISO is on its minimum, so when i was shooting on this mode, pretty much every photo was taken with 1/125. I would like the camera to treat that numbers as a last resort and do not prioritize one of them. The best bet in this case is setting the ISO to a fixed number and the shutter speed limit to 1/250.

It's a pain to quickly switch to a higher ISO and lower speed in order to capture a static object though. And if it's fully zoomed it's almost impossible because of all the jitter of the dial and the ISO button isn't very accessible also.
One thing i would definately love in this camera is a quick switch between two preconfigured modes, like a button that changes to config A and config B when clicked, so i could configure one for moving objects and another for static ones and when zoomed i would be able to switch between them with minimum effort and jitter.

Sometimes it's very frustrating, once i found a lizard on a tree (fully zoomed) and it was static so i wanted to decrease the ISO value and the shutter speed a little bit, however, i lost it because of all the jitter and never found it again.