Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 7, 2011, 8:15 PM   #1

Default FZ40/45 - Any way to disable self timer light?

Hello there. I'm having some problem shooting night pictures, because i want to use the self timer do prevent the shutter activation jitter, but when i'm shooting in town, with people around, that blinking light gets very noticeable, and people come to talk with me, some run, almost everyone looks, etc. So it's a problem. Even shooting from my apartment, near people tends to notice and look, sometimes they even make obscene gestures.
I couldn't find any menu entry for that and nothing about that in the manual also.
I think there should be a way because i think most times the camera shouldn't be easily noticeable. And that 2 second is too little for a self shot, so it really shouldn't blink that light, because it's mainly for shutter jitter prevention i think.
If there's no way, I'll be forced to put a piece of rubber there.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2011, 7:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte View Post
Hello there. I'm having some problem shooting night pictures, because i want to use the self timer do prevent the shutter activation jitter, but when i'm shooting in town, with people around, that blinking light gets very noticeable, and people come to talk with me, some run, almost everyone looks, etc. So it's a problem. Even shooting from my apartment, near people tends to notice and look, sometimes they even make obscene gestures.
I couldn't find any menu entry for that and nothing about that in the manual also.
I think there should be a way because i think most times the camera shouldn't be easily noticeable. And that 2 second is too little for a self shot, so it really shouldn't blink that light, because it's mainly for shutter jitter prevention i think.
If there's no way, I'll be forced to put a piece of rubber there.
Don't use the self timer? Only time I ever really use the self timer is if I'm doing posed pics (Such as myself) as I did for mothers day as mom wanted a decent picture of me since she hasn't had one in years to shy away when the cameras around me.
beli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 10:24 AM   #3

I use the self timer very often for long exposures on tripod to prevent the shutter jitter.
I did stick a piece of thick duck tape on the light hole. It's not the best way to "deactivate" that light though. Imho Panasonic should open the firmware source.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:38 AM   #4

Quote:
I use the self timer very often for long exposures on tripod to prevent the shutter jitter.
I did stick a piece of thick duck tape on the light hole. It's not the best way to "deactivate" that light though. Imho Panasonic should open the firmware source.
Maybe this thread will give you some ideas on how to use the camera without self timer for long exposure

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-question.html
Old May 8, 2011, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
maybe one of these threads will help you with the longer exposure so you can avoid self timer. Sounds like your using the pre-programmed modes?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-question.html

or this one http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...2482-fz40.html

Last edited by beli; May 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:06 AM   #6

Thanks beli. I have my own manner of taking pictures though and self timer is essential for me, so duck tape was the solution here. heh.
Old May 9, 2011, 6:42 PM   #7

G'day Electrolyte

I have seen image sharpness of so many tripod pix destroyed by tripod-shake I agree with your using the s/t 2-second delay for images
I use a small lump of "Blu-Tak" over the focus light as it does not leave any stickyness behind on the camera body

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote