Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:45 PM   #1

Default What cold problem?!

....I remember reading a complaint about the FZ10 not working in the cold. It's changed from the 50's-60's here to the low 30's.

I figured a good test was to leave it outside for a few hours... the outside temp is 25f. at 8:30pm. So, I brought it in, fired it up and took a shot within 60 seconds.

No problem. ...except for the condensation on the lens.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2004, 11:08 PM   #2

I did have a problem in the cold with my FZ-10 for about 3 hours (images were bluish) but it went away and never returned. I'll probably never figure out what happened.
manof1000faces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 6:00 AM   #3

Usually, the biggest problem you'll have with a digicam in very cold weather is power related -- the batteries just don't work as well in cold temperatures. So much for the old idea of storing batteries in a fridge, eh? My FZ1's battery (same as the FZ10) doesn't work as well in colder weather -- the life of the charge is significantly shortened.

FYI, a lot of photography sites recommend putting your camera in a ziplock baggie when bringing it in from the cold. It will supposedly acclimate it better to the warmer environment, and I remember something about the condensation forming on the bag rather than the camera lens. A ziplock baggie is also handy when traveling by airplane. Supposedly the changes in pressure can cause your camera to "inhale" (sorry, can't use the word s*uck on this site or it replaces it with *****) dust into the actual lens mechanism, which cannot be cleaned out without taking apart the camera. Putting a baggie around it will minimize the environmental dust, so there's less of a chance of it causing problems. A baggie is also good to have when stuck in the rain. Moral to this story? Tuck a baggie in your camera bag so you too can practice "safe camera"! Haha.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 9:48 AM   #4

Good tip Chris. Thanks.

jim
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:30 AM   #5

I use flying to clean my camera. The change in pressure helps my camera exhale thereby blowing the dust out of the camera body and lens mechanism.

(is it April already? )
jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:11 PM   #6

What a great way to use up those frequent flyer miles, and if you're a professional photographer, you could theoretically write it off as an equipment care/service expense....hmmmm....

EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 1:30 AM   #7

Putting your batteries in the fridge does lenghten their life. That's because they're unable to dissipate power

Not being able to dissipate power is the same reason that the batteries don't work well when they're cold.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:04 AM   #8

Here's my last test - it got down to +11f. last night and my camera stayed out for seven hours.

...same deal; bring it in a fire it up within 60sec. ...take the picture. It worked fine, including all the motor functions dependant on the battery.

I didn't do the plastic bag trick, but if I had taken it out before it equalized; I suspect it would have still fogged up.

These temps. are about a cold as it get's here. On 3 Jan it was in the upper 60's.

Cheers all.

Jim
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:43 PM   #9

Wetstuff -- Thanks for the performance info after "cold soak." Have you also tested outside when the camera was still cold, i.e., winter photograpy? What happened then?

Thanks - Ron V
RonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:01 AM   #10

Ron: I sometimes miss the thought of taking pics of Perch in holes thru the ice while ice fishing...but not often! So, no - I didn't really 'use' the camera on a cold day. I suspect you'd need a spare battery, which I got from Eagle Imports, as I tend to leave the camera on full time.

I've also begun to appreciate warmer winters. Here's what we do on 3 January down here! (I used to iceboat back in Wisconsin..) Water was only about 45f. but the air temp was 60f....a little Sun, wind and 5mm wetsuits make the day fun.

www.fire-tags.com/Kite/slide_2.htm

....there's a: /slide_1.htm (but this was the best of the bunch)

Jim